1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ajc89, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

Hi, I'm on a fixed term contract that ends in August. Thoughts on attending final training day of the year?
    Thanks

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you're being paid until August 31st, you go in.

But you could ask if you could spend the time clearing out and getting things ready for when you leave, rather than spending it in meetings where the focus is next year.

Alternatively, ask if you can not attend - but they might dock your pay.

3. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

This often forgotten by people. Ask yourself if you expect to get paid until the end of your contract? You do? Then go in.

I second that, there is room for negotiation.

But why do you not want the training? It is something to put on your CV and applications.

Now for a tale of yesteryear.

I know that years ago someone in this very situation asked if they could clear out the classroom etc. This was declined the SMT insisted that they do the training. This person spent abour 37 minutes heckling the SMT. The head stood up and briskly took them outside and let go and do their own thing.

This obviously burnt bridges and that individual was going back to that school again. Perhaps they had a job elsewhere. For me, as younge fresher teacher, it was enlightening to hear some of the counter-arguments to some of the twaddle being peddled.

4. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

One point, any safeguarding training or other H&S on offer should be taken up regardless of any other arrangements since this will be useful wherever you go.

5. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

erratum :

that individual was never going back to that school again.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

To the OP - not sure why you've sent me a private message.

You asked for thoughts on whether or not you attend a training day. I've given them.

7. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If its school specific ask to do other tasks in school. If generic it might be useful.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There are no thoughts that matter.
    Is the INSET before the end of your contract? If so, you have no choice but to go in.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

And totally fair and solid advice..... hope it was a nice response..

Especially as my response would be simpler. It’s a daft question, you’re being paid so course you go in
    :rolleyes:

CWadd and caterpillartobutterfly like this.
  10. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Sometimes, you read things and think ‘what planet do some people live on’

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As others have said, if you are paid until the end of August (lucky you - not all on fixed term contracts are), then yes, you have to go.

If it is something that will be useful at another school (e.g. Child Protection, or teaching strategies, or basic first aid, say), then it will be valuable. If it is specific planning for the next school year and not-transferable, then maybe ask if you can use some of the day to pack up/set up the resources etc for your successor.

If you are told you MUST attend and it is totally pointless as far as you are concerned...then I'd spend the day at the back of the room, reading a book or playing games on my phone, TBH.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I don't think it's necessarily just about the value to the teacher concerned. If departments are working together on something, but those who are leaving disappear off, then it's harder for those who are left. Join in a bit of collaboration, make your contribution, and you might gain the odd idea to take with you. And hopefully common sense will prevail about using time for handover, clear-up etc if that's more relevant.

You could offer to take the day off unpaid, of course.

13. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Might even be able to contribute ideas...

14. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

To @DYNAMO67 - essence of the message was that everyone was telling them not to go in.

Unless that "everyone" is the HT or DHT, I would go in.

notreallyme75 likes this.
  15. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

Did you go in Op? Was it useful if so? Hope you’re now enjoying your hols!

16. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

I would have asked my boss...:rolleyes:

Piranha likes this.