1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term temporary 2 yrs redundancy?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by claire_ontheroad, Mar 30, 2018.

1. claire_ontheroad

claire_ontheroad New commenter

I'm currently working my 2nd year in a school I love on a 2nd fixed term 12 month temporary contract. There is another colleague who is a part time equivalent. There are also 2 other colleagues on fixed term temporary contracts, but they started at different times.
    We recently had a meeting regarding next year and the SLT said that they don't know the situation next year and will wait until May to inform us if there are jobs available or not due to numbers?
    As we will have worked 2 years in August, do we have priority over the other temporary employees? Would they have to make us redundant if they didn't keep us to fill the posts?
    It's so frustrating that I have to reapply for my job every year. This is my second school working temporary, but I am an experienced teacher. Not even sure if I should hold out or look elsewhere. I've put so much into my job role here.
    Thanks for reading.

2. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

I am in the exact position as you and just lost out to a colleague with MUCH less experience. It's horrible. I want to know about redundancy too. Xx

3. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Was there a days break in between the two contracts?
    Not too sure that matters as if your contract is temporary and has been to two years the school does not have to renew it or offer you anything

As for redundancy- you are not entitled to any and if you were the most. Would be 1week for Everett year you worked there

Sorry

4. newmummy1

newmummy1 New commenter

Why not entitled to redundancy?

5. claire_ontheroad

claire_ontheroad New commenter

I thought employment law was put in place to stop schools from simply dishing out repeated temporary contracts and that after 2 years of continuous service I now have the same rights as permenant staff members (according to employment law)? I honestly thought that we were moving away from schools simply using temporary contracts as a way of seeing if they can simply get someone better or cheaper. It would be very interesting to see how my school will handle me handing my notice in earlier because I have a new job outside of the education sector. I mean what other job requires such a ridiculous notice period?

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/employee-notice-periods-2016/ suggests the norm for managers is three months, directors up to six months. But a resignation and appointment cycle by traditional terms makes a lot of sense for schools and for teachers - except when people move out of teaching, as you have found out.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

This is a common view, but not what the law says. https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/renewing-or-ending-a-fixedterm-contract says that you can get redundancy after 2 years employment and are entitled not to be unfairly dismissed. https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/redundancy-pay says that it is at least 2 weeks' money, one for every year worked.

Yes, I understood that, although it is not just aimed at schools, but at anybody trying to use temporary contracts to avoid staff getting any rights.

It is about time unions got on top of this one, and I would advise speaking to your union. If enough people did this, perhaps the true legal position may become better known.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am a bit puzzled by this one. If the notice period were shorter, they could end your contract before the two years is up so you would have no right to any compensation. You can't expect to have it both ways. BTW, I once had a one year notice period - came in very handy when I was made redundant following a merger as they had to pay me for a whole extra year.