1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Term Teaching Contract - not being paid for the summer

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by shogran, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I was employed on a one year fixed term contract from September 2011 and i was told that this would be for 1 year, the contract gave the end date 31st July, stupidly I signed without checking. I was only hoping to stay till Easter but circumstances have changed. I am hoping to stay till July. Should I be entitled to full pay over the summer holidays too?

So, i was wondering where I stand with regards to getting paid during the summer! If having taught for a full academic year?
    Please help me with my queries!!??

2. I was employed on a one year fixed term contract from September 2011 and i was told that this would be for 1 year, the contract gave the end date 31st July, stupidly I signed without checking. I was only hoping to stay till Easter but circumstances have changed. I am hoping to stay till July. Should I be entitled to full pay over the summer holidays too?

So, i was wondering where I stand with regards to getting paid during the summer! If having taught for a full academic year?
    Please help me with my queries!!??

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

If it is a maternity covere & the other teacher comes back, then you aren't entitled to summer pay, but if it isn't & your post continues next year with another teacher then (I think) you might be - seek Union advice (once you have politely queried the date with your HT), I suggest.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Just to check:
    - what type of school?
    - are you covering a matenity leave?

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

If it;s to 31st July you will be paid to then and no more. Sadly this is a trick pulled on less experienced teachers to get out of paying for the summer break. Your contract ought to have been to 31st August.