1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed-term resignation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teachinglife17, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hi All,

I’m currently on maternity cover on a fixed term contract and have been offered a permanent job that starts before the end of my contract.

My period of notice in my contract states... “with the exception of sick/maternity cover appointments, fixed term and future event appointments the minimum period of notice which you are entiitled to receive or required to give to terminate your employment is two months, and in the summer term three months terminating at the end of the school term”

I handed my resignation in on the 1st March rather than the 28th of February to leave in April and now the school are being funny about my leaving date.

Can anyone shed any light on the rights of a fixed term maternity contract please?

2. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Check your contract. I'm on a maternity contract and my notice period is one month.

jlishman2158 likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Unless your notice period is mentioned elsewhere, it seems that your school has blundered and not stated what your notice period is, as your contract is clearly in the list of exceptions. I would get your union onside, but my suggestion is that you have a considerably shorter notice period, perhaps as short as a week.

However, there is a potential issue if you argue this way, as your employer might also be able to give shorter notice, perhaps expiring on the last day of term.

Silly question, perhaps, but why did you wait until the day after the normal notice date?

4. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

As @Piranha says, you probably only have to give one weeks notice, however if the school is being petty they may give a counter-notice

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

HR in schools seem to be able to raise uselessness to heights that even Failing Grayling would struggle to achieve.

Suggest you politely email pointing out that there is a specific exception and could they please advise what the notice period is for maternity cover (as @Piranha has pointed out). There is no need for anything other than politeness at this stage but I suggest you keep your union informed so they could swing quickly into action if needed.

Piranha, jlishman2158 and agathamorse like this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Just leave on whatever the date you specified is (and make sure you have made it very clear in writing that that’s what you’re doing). There’s nothing they can do about it anyway.

(I assume references for the new job are already in?)

Just if anybody starts posting about getting sued for breach of contract, don’t worry. This will not happen.

This all said, it would be better if you could come to an amicable agreement with your HT on this...