1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term maternity cover

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Humphrey101, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Humphrey101

Humphrey101 New commenter

Hi guys,

I've been on a fixed term maternity cover (part time) since last January. My contract expires Dec 31st. I've been called in for a chat - and have a suspicion the woman I am covering for is coming back early after half term.

What are the possible outcomes here? Can they let me go at half term? Can they ask me to cover lessons in a dept that's far from my speciality, or would that constitute unfavourable treatment?

It's got me worried. Thanks for any help you can offer!

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Usually contracts state an end date, or earlier if person returns early. But it might also be that they are returning later or not at all.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Read the contract and see what is specified regarding the end date. It is binding and probably too late for either party to give notice for an earlier date.

Of course, any contract could be ended immediately with the agreement of both parties so avoid volunteering this unless you really want to go.
    Yes but cover is a lot easier than regular lessons as a 'proper' teacher. Little or no planning, probably reduced expectations regarding marking/progress and all the other sticks to beat you with. All this assumes there is a long-term cover that is in the department from hell, day-to-day cover is even easier especially as you know the school systems and probably most of the kids.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Maternity cover contracts are written as fixed term for 52 weeks but with a short period of notice if it is terminated early due to the return of the main post holder. This could be 1-4 weeks notice. But, as others have said, they could have decided not to come back at all.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

They can almost certainly redeploy you - that happens to teachers on permanent contracts, and there have been several threads on the subject. As for when you can be asked to leave, that is (as others have said) down to your contract. Most maternity covers specify a shorter notice period than usual, so they don't end up paying two teachers if the one on leave comes back early. It is worse for contracts ending on 31 August, as it is very likely that they will end very close to the end of the summer term in July.