1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term for whole academic year - pay over summer?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ellie1293, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Ellie1293

Ellie1293 New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I am currently a full time class teacher in a special school in Scotland on a fixed-term contract for the whole school year, from the first day of term (16.08.18) to the last day of term (28.06.19). All fixed-term employees at the school have recently been told that no contracts will be extended after this point due to structural changes in the school. I am trying to find out if I will be paid for the 2019 summer holidays. As my salary is divided into 12 monthly payments, any money paid over the summer is what I have already worked for and so I believe I should still receive this, even though it is technically after my contract end date. A website for the Republic of Ireland states that "A qualified fixed term (temporary) teacher, who is employed for the full school year, i.e. 1 Sept to 30 June (or from the first working day of October to 30 June), will be paid for the July and August vacation." This also suggests I should be paid for the summer. However I am struggling to find similar information relating to the rest of the UK, and have seen similar posts from people stating that they did not get paid over summer which is worrying me a little!
    Does anybody have any clarification on this for me?
    Thanks so much,
    Ellie

2. parseltongue

parseltongue New commenter

I believe that legally you would not be entitled to summer pay if your half terms, Christmas and Easter breaks are at least equal to the statutory minimum holiday pay. However, Scottish teachers may have a separate policy to England and Wales so best to check with your union.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

What does your contract say? And what does your school's HR dept say?

4. Ellie1293

Ellie1293 New commenter

Thanks for your replies!
    parseltongue - those holidays do add up to just above the statutory minimum holiday pay unfortunately!
    Skeoch - I can't see anything in my contract that relates to it, unless I'm missing something! My school doesn't have its own HR department so I'm currently trying to find out through the council's.. it's taking a while!

Out of interest, if it turned out I will not get paid over summer and so found a permanent/longer term job at another school beginning around Easter time, would I be paid over the summer from that job? Or will I not have worked there for the necessary amount of time for summer holiday pay? I'm not really sure how it works, but I really can't have two months without pay over summer!

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You would be for a contract extending into the new school year if you were in England, but I am not sure about Scotland. I assume there are some rules you can look up, akin to our Burgundy Book, or your union should be able to help.