1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term contracts and maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by BooTeach, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I wonder if anybody could advise...generally. I'm currently working to the end of a fixed term contract. Verbally I have been offered, and accepted, another year (Sept 2011-12). I have this weekend discovered the exciting news that I am pregnant (V. early days). The baby, all being well, is due in January(ish)...how does this work if I am only employed until August 31st 2012? Will I have to take unpaid maternity as not guarenteed I can go back for the required 3 month period after?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Not sure - I read this but can't find an answer.
    http://sites.google.com/site/tesfaqs/maternity
    You may need to confirm with your LEA's HR department when you are ready to reveal your pregnancy. Another option could be to repost this on the Pay & Conditions forum - put Attention: Tafkam in the subject line. Tafkam is a bit of an expert on these matters.
    Many congratulations on your pregnancy.

3. Thanks very much becky70 - appreciated! [​IMG]

4. Hi Boo, is the new year at the same school? If so you would definately be entitled to a minimum of statutory maternity pay and depending if it's state or private potentially other benefits. Your school should have a handbook that details their maternity pay so it could be worth having a look at that.
    Again regardless of if you return to the school afterwards you will be entitled to full statutory, if you do qualify for additional the fact your contract ends whilst on maternity may have no bearing (as this is out of your control) but I would seek further clarification. Hope this helps a little, good luck with your pregnancy!

5. Thank you very much HumptyDumptyEgg! It is at the same School, so it's a relief to know I qualify for something...am still waiting for the 'chat' to take place...EEK! But will find out more soon I'm sure. Thanks for your response and advise, I'll seek out that Handbook!

Boo. [​IMG]