1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Term Contract to Permanent - Holiday Pay

Discussion in 'Independent' started by vorgaphe, Apr 2, 2018.

1. vorgaphe

vorgaphe New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could clarify a situation for me please. I am currently a grad assistant (somewhere between a gappy and a teaching assistant) at a private school. I have a fixed term contract, which terminates at the end of June. I have also been offered a teaching position at another private school, which I have accepted and begins in September. My questions is, since I am very new to the profession, I have no idea what this means for pay over the summer. I can only assume that I won't be paid over the summer by either school and will have to find a job for those months. Is this something that any of you have any experience of? Any replies would be much appreciated.

2. Hil2009

Hil2009 New commenter

It sounds like you won't have any summer pay. Your new contract probably starts on the 1st Sept-whenever it is will be your first day of pay and your current school has done what many do which is save a bit by ending your employment before the summer.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree. You have no job for the summer and so won't be paid.

Ask at your new school about holiday clubs and similar. Many prep schools run them and will pay you to staff them.

4. vorgaphe

vorgaphe New commenter

Thanks for the responses, I'll get looking for some work!