1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term contract termination

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by katehumm, May 4, 2011.

1. Hi,

I have just been informed by my headteacher that my contract is not to be renewed this year due to budget cuts. I have been working at the same school for the last three years, on successive one-year fixed-term contracts. I'm a bog-standard classroom teacher and have not been covering maternity or secondment, or anything that actually required my contract to be fixed term.

I was never given a reason for my contract simply being one year after another rather than permanent, and when I started the job I was originally told that it would be made permanent after one year (subject to NQT).

I have been told that I will get severence pay, but have not been given a valid reason for my contract ending, other than a "review of the curriculum" (though what this means I'm not sure, as my subject, MFL, is still being taught and the number of lessons is not being reduced).

Can the school simply end my contract like this? If it is because I'm not required then isn't this redundancy, and shouldn't the school be opening a consultation? They have not discussed this with the union at all.

Thanks,
    Kate

2. Hi,

I have just been informed by my headteacher that my contract is not to be renewed this year due to budget cuts. I have been working at the same school for the last three years, on successive one-year fixed-term contracts. I'm a bog-standard classroom teacher and have not been covering maternity or secondment, or anything that actually required my contract to be fixed term.

I was never given a reason for my contract simply being one year after another rather than permanent, and when I started the job I was originally told that it would be made permanent after one year (subject to NQT).

I have been told that I will get severence pay, but have not been given a valid reason for my contract ending, other than a "review of the curriculum" (though what this means I'm not sure, as my subject, MFL, is still being taught and the number of lessons is not being reduced).

Can the school simply end my contract like this? If it is because I'm not required then isn't this redundancy, and shouldn't the school be opening a consultation? They have not discussed this with the union at all.

Thanks,
    Kate

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Speak to your Union ASAP

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Answered on the other thread...