1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Term Contract Issue

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Jan 31, 2012.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Apply for the job. Doh.

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

This sounds quite normal......? You're on a fixed term contract which expires in August, they are readvertising the position to ensure they get the best possible person for September (yes this is annoying for you, but by agreeing to a fixed term contract surely you realised that meant your job would finish?!) and have not only said you CAN apply, but advised that you do and hinted you may well get it! Apply!! But treat it the same as ANY other job app - don't cut corners cos you think it's yours already.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I am not sure that this is true. Fixed term contracts cannot be used as a way of keeping a job filled until a better person comes along. The ending of a fixed term contract for any reason other than the ending of the circumstances used to justify it in the first place counts as dismissal. I discovered this when my fixed term contract (outside teaching) was not renewed and my company insisted that I discussed terms with a solicitor. On investigation, I discovered that it could have been treated as unfair dismissal.
    See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Understandingyourworkstatus/Fixedtermworkers/DG_10027735.