1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term contract holiday pay.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by joedaley88, Jun 18, 2019.

1. joedaley88

joedaley88 New commenter

Hi, I'm just looking for some advice regarding holiday pay. I've been on a full time, fixed term contract from November 12th until the end of the school year and have just been taken on full time for another year starting September. However, I'm unsure if I will get holiday pay this summer as my current contract ends in July and my new one starts in September. Any information would be greatly appreciated as i'm an NQT and don't really know much about this side of the job. Im a little nervous about bringing it up as I don't want to give a bad impression of myself but I'm worried how I will survive the summer with no wages. I've scoured the internet for days and i'm none the wiser!
    Thanks in advance.

2. joedaley88

joedaley88 New commenter

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

One links relates to Ireland and the other to New Zealand. What country do you work in?

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would suggest that, if your contract ends in July, then that is when your pay will stop. I am afraid that this is something that needs to be clarified at the time of accepting such a post. Some people think that the Burgundy Book says otherwise, but I am not convinced by this, as the Burgundy Book uses the word "term" to refer to 4 month periods, not the time students attend a school. And you may not even be covered by the Burgundy Book.

However, the school might treat it differently if you are returning there, so why not ask? And check the dates on your new contract. You want it to end on 31 August, not some time in July. Another thing of relevance is that once you have completed two years continuous employment on fixed term contracts with one employer, you gain employment rights. I think this would not happen with a break in the summer.

I am assuming that you are in England or Wales, not New Zealand!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Having completed a few fixed term contracts before my retirement, I found that state schools didn't pay holidays unless one was working both the term before & afterwards, but independent schools sometimes did pay for the holiday after one's contract finished.

But, as said above, this is something to be sorted out when initially negotiating the post.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. Diagro

Diagro New commenter

How much were you paid? if you were paid the full daily rate (110 ish for NQT) then no, no holiday pay for you.

if your pay worked out at around £70 a day, then i would fully expect it as it would have been on a pro rata rate