1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Term Contract - Holiday Pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by evb248, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have started a fixed term contract working as a primary class teacher. The contract runs from the 1st Jan to the 22nd July. Since starting work at the school I have realised how 'tight' they are with the budget (expecting all staff to take the children away on a residential and not paying the classroom assistants any more money to do this etc) and am beginning to think that I am entitled to some holiday pay in the summer holidays if I am working 2 terms full time. I know I should have questioned this before now. I have just spent an hour or so reading the official publications on pay and conditions but cannot find a definate answer. Can anyone help me locate the answer so that I can discuss this further with the school. I am used to permanent contracts and not fixed term ones!
    Thank you.

2. You should be paid 1/3 of your annual salary each term in the way as permenent staff unless you are working on supply through an agency.
    The Fixed term (Prevention of less favourable treatment) Employees Regulations (2002) protect both those working under standard fixed term contracts with a stated termination date and those on 'specific task' contracts. However, they do not protect agency staff.
    The regulations entitle fixed-term workers to claim equality of treatment with permanent colleagues in the same establishment. This applies to terms and conditions of employment, including pay and pensions, as well as training and development.

3. Kelloggs

Kelloggs New commenter

Why is your contract fixed term? Is it cover for somebody who is off eg mat leave?

4. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Speak to ytour union, you should be employed under Burgundy Book rules to 31st August but they are conning you out of the pay for the holiday.
    I fear your HT knew what they were doing but it may be worth approaching them with an 'I think there has been a mistake' question. Unfortunately in most cases they won't change as you have already agreed it.