1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed term contract for maternity cover pay over Easter advice

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by browngirl80, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Been in post as teacher while postholder is on maternity leave. The teacher is returning for last week of Easter. I have been told that I will be paid on supply for the last week and then won't be receiving any holiday pay for easter despite being in post since summer half term 2011 (I will have been in post for half a term short of a full year).
    My contract stipulates the job ends as soon as post holder returns but wondered if I have any rights as I have been in the post for some time.
    Is it down to head to decide if I get paid or not?
    Any advice welcome.

2. Been in post as teacher while postholder is on maternity leave. The teacher is returning for last week of Easter. I have been told that I will be paid on supply for the last week and then won't be receiving any holiday pay for easter despite being in post since summer half term 2011 (I will have been in post for half a term short of a full year).
    My contract stipulates the job ends as soon as post holder returns but wondered if I have any rights as I have been in the post for some time.
    Is it down to head to decide if I get paid or not?
    Any advice welcome.

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Does your contract mention a period of notice that has to be provided and have the school given that to you?
    If you are paid on supply for the last week before Easter then this money will be more than what you get normally as it includes an element of holiday pay. The school might be paying you on supply for the last week to ensure you get some extra pay.
    I can only empathise really as I am in the same position, I am covering maternity and the post holder who was due to return in July is now returning right before Easter. However my contract does state I must be given 2 months notice before the end of term and I will therefore contacting my union in the event that I do not receive this much notice. On that subject, perhaps you could discuss this with your union rep?