1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Term confusion

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by iwanevans1, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I've recently taken a fixed term contract to cover a maternity for 12 months with a specific end date. However, the contract states employment maybe terminated before the end date should the reason for employment no longer exist. I've been assured my employment will be for 12 months regardless of whether the member of staff returns or not before the end date but.....should I be worried and seek a permanent position in September. I'm an NQT so this complicates the issue for me slightly and would rather complete my induction year in one school but with school budgets being what they are at present and the reality that most staff on maternity leave return just before the summer, I'm conscious I could get notified of termination late in the summer term when all the September jobs have gone and be left with no employment next academic year. Thoughts?

2. I've recently taken a fixed term contract to cover a maternity for 12 months with a specific end date. However, the contract states employment maybe terminated before the end date should the reason for employment no longer exist. I've been assured my employment will be for 12 months regardless of whether the member of staff returns or not before the end date but.....should I be worried and seek a permanent position in September. I'm an NQT so this complicates the issue for me slightly and would rather complete my induction year in one school but with school budgets being what they are at present and the reality that most staff on maternity leave return just before the summer, I'm conscious I could get notified of termination late in the summer term when all the September jobs have gone and be left with no employment next academic year. Thoughts?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Apply for jobs with a permanent contract. The lady you're covering could come back earlier than planned and leave you unemployed. The school will understand.