1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fixed Penalty Notice for Littering

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by tom_don97, Mar 9, 2018.

1. tom_don97

tom_don97 New commenter

I was given a FPN recently for littering carelessly and thoughtlessly. I have wanted to teach since I was child, I am currently in my second year of university and I was wondering if this would impact on my opportunities. I'm hoping that all this work towards my dream career hasn't been ruined for a careless mistake. Would it show on a DBS check, or would I only have to disclose it if I am asked directly. I feel awful about it and I am getting very worried about it.

Thanks for any help.

2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

It shouldn't show:

https://www.nacro.org.uk/resettleme...-criminal-records/criminal-record-checks/#pnd

I received a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) or a Penalty Notice for Disorder (PND). Will this show up on my DBS certificate?

No. A Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) and a Penalty Notice for Disorder (PND) are on-the-spot fines issued by the police for very minor offences. If you pay an FPN or PND within the specified time-limit, all liability for the offence is discharged and the offence does not form part of your criminal record.

There was a steady stream of students complaining about having been given fines for littering outside the college I worked at, despite the prominent notices being displayed. As a member of staff at a school/college you'd be expected to lead by example, so perhaps you need to be more careful in future. ;)

3. tom_don97

tom_don97 New commenter

Thanks so much for you reply, that's great information. I was just worried that it would show me in a bad way when applying for PGCEs and future jobs. It was a careless mistake which I should have thought about in the moment, I'll definitely be taking your advice to be careful on board haha.