1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fiver in a card?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon2113, Dec 23, 2010.

1. 5 lottery tickets

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I would go a tenner for a child that I knew well.

3. I would put a tenner in.

4. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

A tenner - unless late, in which case a guilty £20.

5. Yeah your're right tenner and silly penquin stuffed with sweets it is!

6. Makes me feel old.
    I can remember when £1 was enough (a note, obviously).
    Ah, well. Times change.

7. Me too.
    But a quid got you further back then.
    btw - I did this once when loads of us gave money as a wedding present - we hung them on a bunch of flowers.
    http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-fold-dollar-into-heart-063016/
    But you could just as easy stick it in an envelope - it isn't difficult to fold, honest.

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I remember when a 'Blue or Red Dragon' edition paperback (included Enid Blyton books....cost 6d and the 'Green Dragons' (for the older reader, and usually thicker books) cost up to 9d....give me a shilling and I could buy 2 books....give me half-a-crown and I was in clover!
    £5 doesn't buy a decent book these days, so I'd go for the £10 if it is affordable.
    (Books were and still are my gift of choice....or a nice Amazon voucher!)

9. I used to get 50p pocket money a month.
    I saved it up to buy a Puffin book - they cost 99p.
    And I do believe books are wonderful presents - I have just bought my two some for Christmas.
    Daughter has "Stardust - Geheimnissvolle Elfen"
    http://www.amazon.de/Stardust-Geheimnisvolle-Doppelband-Mondschein-Elfenzauber/dp/3551357854
    and son is getting
    "Geisterspuk in der Zwergenmine" which is an interactive book where he can decide on the outcome of the story himself (will keep him reading, see)
    http://www.amazon.de/Die-Welt-1000-Abenteuer-Bd/dp/3505126373/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293130257&sr=1-1-spell

10. I wouldn't buy books as presents for children or young people because if they're a keen reader there is a very good chance they will have read it, and if they aren't, it will gather dust in a corner somewhere ...
    I'm going to go against the flow a bit here and say I think a fiver is okay but it depends as others have said on how well you know the child eggy. x

11. I go with a tenner - you can;t get much for a fiver these days!

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think a tenner is alot of money personally.
    Can you not ask the parents if there is an album they want, can get some okay ones for £6ish.
    Itunes or Amazon voucher? x

13. Depends on how flush <u>YOU</u> are, surely? Owt is better than nowt?
    Times is 'ard. My 12 yr old God daughter got a fiver and a Christmas cracker-shaped Cadburys Milk Tray novelty chocolate thingy , costing &pound;1 (from the Pound Shop.)
    I think that's generous in the circumstances....although of course I cannot explain my circumstances to her. Should her parents think me tight....well...tough. I do feel some guilt though...like I have been a cheap-skate. Sadly, I'd have appreciated that six quid in my purse right now. [​IMG]

14. Funny this has just come up.
    I asked the man in the papershop to give me two tenners for twenty as I needed them for my friends children.
    He commented that only last year everyone was asking him for fivers but this year it's been all tenners.
    Inflation gone mad eh.

15. def not books or dvds unless you check with parents
    last year miss post got 3 dvds of the david tennant 'hamlet' - all recipients knew her well, but....

16. I feel your pain! [​IMG]

17. 2 of them made great raffle prizes!
    (in separate raffles [​IMG] )

18. henriette

henriette New commenter

I wish my sister would ask what my children want - most years she spend between &pound;5 and &pound;10 on each of them and the gifts are often not what they want - they would rather have had the &pound;5 note! Especially when things are tight, I think we should play safe.

19. Lol yes, we've got about six copies of Six Dinner Sid!

20. my sil does this - i hold a playground raffle each january at school - pride of place my own kids' unwanted pressies- she gave miss post craft sets for at least 5 years running - miss post wouldn't make a craft item if you paid her in chocolate
    (yeah - she gave one of the hamlet dvd's last year)
    my brother and self don't give each others' kids pressies - we buy for our own and post each other labels to attach. it works