1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Five Top Tips for getting teachers to use new technology effectively

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by edulitolearn, Sep 9, 2018.

1. edulitolearn

edulitolearn New commenter

If you want your school to make more effective use of technology then here are some tips

1. Start by having a clear pedagogical rationale of what you what to achieve. Once you are clear about your educational goals you can then begin to think how new technology can be used to support these goals.

2. Don’t expect to get every single teacher to take on new ideas, start by encouraging a group of digital champions to model the use of new technology. Once your digital champions have demonstrated the efficacy of the new technology you’ll begin to draw in other teachers to your program.

3. Don’t walk before you can run! start with small manageable pilot project that can then be grown to support education across the school.

4. It’s not just about the teachers! You must involve all stakeholders in any change, including students, parents, governors and members of the local community.

5. The leadership team need to take the lead. You will never get any new tech to work if the leadership team delegate the development to a middle leader. The leadership team should be up there with the digital champions modelling good practice.

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

So what course are you on then Teach First; NPQML; NPQSL; NPQH; oh no !!! not NPQEL ?

....There were another few words about your general tone use of jargon etc but TES would've have probably removed my post. So...

Anyway I'm you'll hear a lot of the same invective, from others as you climb the greasy pole so I don't need to waste my time here

3. kritisharma1

kritisharma1 New commenter

yes, I agreed. These are really good tips every school should follow them.

4. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Yes basic change management however as schools have no funding most new technology is on the back burner.

5. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

My top tip would be to make sure that all the technology you've got works and is reliable. If it isn't reliable it'll soon be abandoned by teachers who get frustrated having to fix problems in the middle of lessons.

border_walker likes this.
  6. edulitolearn

7. edulitolearn

I agree - Fortunately cloud computing takes away some of the network issues as long as you have great WiFi and robust devices.

8. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Why is this in the Computing subject forum?