1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Five fruit trees make an orchard, apparently.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Apr 19, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Lead commenter

If I plant a plum and a damson, i'll have an orchard. Isn't that lovely?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

We had an orchard then...

Not so much now. Got two apple, a plum and a cherry left.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Three plums an apple and a pear. Definitely an orchard. Just put netting round the trunks to keep out the squirrels. The blossom has been brilliant this year.

Ivartheboneless and agathamorse like this.
  4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Hey, we've got an orchard too! Two apple trees, two plum trees and a pear tree. They're all in blossom now and look lovely.

neddyfonk and dunnocks like this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Orchard here, 2 cherry, 1 plum, 1 pear, 1 quince, 1 medlar and 4 apple. Never thought of it as an orchard just our garden. Feel sad about leaving it behind as we move house. Will be starting from scratch in the new house.

neddyfonk, agathamorse and dunnocks like this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@Wotton It is sad leaving a garden. Good luck at the new house though. Moving house can be tough but can be so exciting. What will you plant?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Have none of you got a partridge in your pear tree? (Otherwise it seems a disappointment!)

peter12171 and agathamorse like this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

we've got two orchards, one of apple trees and one mixed At least we have always counted them as two orchards, now I'm wondering how far part they have to me to be two orchards, not one large one.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I love the indignant augmentation in this thread
    Well I've got seven apple trees, five ancient meddlars, sixteen cherries, four pear trees and an old old sweet chestnut...and I didn't even have my eyes open when I planted them.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what's indignant augmentation?

nizebaby likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Fruit tree 'Top Trumps'!

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

well, I just took this thread at face value, and wrote about my actual orchards, if other people didn't then I don't know why

agathamorse likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

Sadly my current garden would not be able to run to orchard status due to size. Furthermore I have always been too busy to plant and maintain fruit trees. Perhaps now is the time.

When I worked in the Far East my garden had mangoes, jackfruit, papaya, durian, mangosteen and salak.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

They aren't that much work, the main thing is the first few years making sure they get established properly and do some formative pruning, that mainly happens in the winter when there's little else going on in the garden. Buy bare-rooted or rootballed trees in the winter and plant as soon as possible, nothing happens for a few months, but they establish much better when they wake up.

Well jel! Then again we had similar in our garden in Kenya except it was a new garden and they weren't very big.

I have heard that plums are regarded as an exotic fruit in much of the world, there's little to beat one straight off the tree and they don't travel well except for the rigid supermarket ones you can get these days. Our Victoria plum tree succumbed to silver leaf a couple of years ago, much sadness :(

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Take the form of "The House That Jack Built" and allow each successive line to be motivated by badly concealed avarice.
    Then take my original comment with something called "a pinch of salt"
    In fact, take all of my posts on personal with a pinch of salt.
    Please.

nomad and agathamorse like this.
  16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

will keep that in mind :)

I do have a tendency to take written posts at face value, when face to face it might be obvious that they were not serious.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

I had a partridge once. It was lovely with roast potatoes and all the trimmings :)

primarycat and agathamorse like this.
  18. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

To help with pollination I have two apple, two cherry, two plum and two pears but I have never eaten any cherries because they fall off early and get eaten by birds etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I think you must be top trump.

nomad likes this.
  20. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

@lindenlea We had to say what we were planting in our planning to LA, it's a new build, though don't think we will stick exactly to what we said. It is a very sandy soil, looks like a sand quarry at the moment from where we dug down for the foundations. It will be a long project. Hard landscaping first and then the fun part. I've taken cuttings etc from some of our plants here so they will need to live in pots for a while yet.

lindenlea and agathamorse like this.