1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Five foods you should never freeze.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by landaise, Nov 25, 2011.

1. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I'm trying to fathom why anyone would want to freeze a raw egg!
    Having said that, raw egg whites freeze beautifully: I keep them for when I feel like meringues.
    Don't quite get what they mean by ready to eat fish.....
    Agree about high water content foods: apart from in soups or sauces, courgettes are pretty poor frozen, lose all their texture but when you have a glut.....

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I think the article means fish loosely wrapped in paper, if you rewrap in an airtight bag at home you're OK.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Ah ! When I buy it from the supermarket, they seal it in a thick bag so that you can freeze it as it is: the air is chased out of the bag anyway.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've often frozen whole tomatoes. They come out like billiard balls but are fine for soups and sauces.
    As for single cream, well milk freezes fine and has a much lower fat content than single cream so I don't see why single cream won't freeze.

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Frozen strawberries are awful.

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I read th, or why tell us not to do it?e article this morning - my first thought was - what idiot tried to freeze an egg in the shell? Presumably someone has attempted it!
    When Mum bought her first freezer (I would have been in my mid/late teens) we were so excited!We went blackberry-picking, as we usually did, and Mum turned the bounty into a cupboard full of jams/jellies, and a few pies and crumbles....and then froze a few blackberries. They were stored in the freezer, in a Tuppaware box, until Christmas morning when we had them for breakfast. We had to crunch on them whilst they were half-frozen, as they were clearly going to fall to pieces! But we declared they were delicious!

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Unless served as frozen berries with hot white chocolate sauce!
    Freeze a mixture of raspberries, redcurrants, blueberries, blackberries and halved strawberries. Make a sauce by melting white choclate and adding double cream then warm through in a double boiler until hot.
    Allow berries to thaw slightly in the firdge (they need to be semi-freddo, not rock hard!) and serve with hot white choclate sauce poured over.
    Delish!
    (as served at The Ivy and Belle Towers!)

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I would never buy single cream anyway so freezing it's not concern!
    Odd, pointless, artificial stuff that it is. Far too white.

9. as served at The Ivy and Belle Towers!)

And Cosmos Cottage!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

"single cream turns into a gloopy, split mixture after being frozen."

This confirms for me why single cream is weird. Why would it split, yet milk doesn't?
    Must be full of stabilisers.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I've never had any problems with single cream (use quite a lot in pasta sauces)

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I've no idea why single cream, but when I can get to the shops I'll buy some and try freezing it.
    (I'm confined to the house as taking so many drugs at the moment, I daren't drive and walking hurts my face, sounds weird but the vibration does)

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Single cream is OK - works well when you need something not quite as rich as double cream but a bit richer than milk...and I've tried adding milk to double cream...doesn't work!!!

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I have accidentally frozen eggs in their shells when someone turned down the fridge thermostat too far and the eggs were at the back. Discovered it before they thawed and made a mess, fortunately.
    Lettuce and cucumber don't like being frozen either! [​IMG]