1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fitting a non-linear working life into a linear form or cv

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by AshgarMary, Dec 13, 2011.

1. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Standard application forms and cvs make the assumption that people only have one thing at a time going on in their life work or study-wise.

I do appreciate that if, say, you are working in a bar in the evenings and teaching by day, then you might not feel you want to mention the former.

However, if you have several work strands which run concurrently and all of which have something to contribute to your application, it's not always possible or desirable to just throw a few away!

Does anyone have any good ideas or links for how to present a portion of time - say 4 years - when someone has been doing 3 or 4 different part-time self-employed roles concurrently, all of which contribute to the cv?

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Standard application forms and cvs make the assumption that people only have one thing at a time going on in their life work or study-wise.

I do appreciate that if, say, you are working in a bar in the evenings and teaching by day, then you might not feel you want to mention the former.

However, if you have several work strands which run concurrently and all of which have something to contribute to your application, it's not always possible or desirable to just throw a few away!

Does anyone have any good ideas or links for how to present a portion of time - say 4 years - when someone has been doing 3 or 4 different part-time self-employed roles concurrently, all of which contribute to the cv?

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have found that some application forms do have provision for you to include more then one current employer but, as you have stated, this is not often the case with teaching application forms.
    I am in a similar situation since I have two agencies as employers, also work directly for a school and until recently had another non-teaching role. I get around this by using one employer (the major one at the time) as my current employer and list the others in the past employment section. I then state the finishing date for each of these posts as present or on-going. I then clarify this in the personnel statement section or covering letter of the application.
    However I would be interested in how other people would deal with this.