1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fitness to Teach

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by FiLanc, Nov 9, 2017.

1. FiLanc

FiLanc New commenter

Hi,
    I am currently applying to start a PGCE in September 2018. Up to now I have received one conditional offer and I am now starting to panic about the Fitness to Teach questionnaire.
    I have been on anti-depressants for many years now due to a previous career choice (not teaching!) and family issues, Both of these have now been resolved and I have been working towards a career in teaching.
    Will any of this mean I will be rejected from the PGCE course?
    If anyone has any previous similar experience I would be very grateful to hear how you got on.
    Many thanks x

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to be accurate about your health on the questionnaire and then the assessment about your fitness can be made by professionals. Many teachers are on medication and this does not affect their ability to teach. You do however need to make your own assessment about the pressures involved in teaching and whether you feel you will be able to cope with the role.

3. Juliet6079

Juliet6079 New commenter

I am a few months into a SCITT/Schools Direct course and I take anti-depressants, have done on and off for years.
    When I applied I didn't have to declare it (I'm afraid I don't know about the questionnaire you're talking about) but I did declare it on my Occupational Health questionnaire after I had accepted my place.
    All I had to do was have a phone conversation with the OH team who asked me about how my depression & anxiety affected me day-to-day and whether I felt I needed any help. Then they use that to recommend any help you may be able to access and say whether or not you are fit to work. She said there was absolutely no problem with me teaching.

You sound like you are in a very similar to position to where I was, and no one had any issue with me starting the course. I would agree with the comment above, you need to assess your own needs and ask for help if you need it. But so far, although I am stressed at times, it is not unmanageable. I would also advise not trying to come off your medication too quickly either (I'm no doctor, I just know that I wouldn't want that change right now).

I hope it all goes well for you :)

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

The big issue is - do you feel up to teaching? Read some of the posts on this site and be very clear in your own mind that you want to take this on. I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just - well, read some of the posts!