1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fishing thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Jul 30, 2011.

1. For myself, I have only seriously fished once, off rocks in Cape Town. My big brother baited my line, threw it out, handed it to me, I held it for ages, it twitched, I told my brother, he identified it as a big fish, reeled it in, killed it and gutted it. We took it home, the only catch of the day, and had it for supper, I think it was a galjoen. I was feted by all and sundry, to my brother's outright disgust.
    Anyone else have any fishing-related memories to share?

2. For myself, I have only seriously fished once, off rocks in Cape Town. My big brother baited my line, threw it out, handed it to me, I held it for ages, it twitched, I told my brother, he identified it as a big fish, reeled it in, killed it and gutted it. We took it home, the only catch of the day, and had it for supper, I think it was a galjoen. I was feted by all and sundry, to my brother's outright disgust.
    Anyone else have any fishing-related memories to share?

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

He, he! You are nice, rusty. [​IMG]
    I caught some nice mackerel off a boat a few years back, but I was so seasick I didn't care and just wanted to go home so I could die quietly.
    Mr manny is the fisherman in our house (sea & game). Day and night, he's out there, reeling 'em in. Ties a good fly too. Spare bedroom looks like an explosion in a feather pillow factory. [​IMG]
    Best fishing related memory isn't really mine and it's a bit gross. Am taking time to decide whether it's fit for consumption by the delicate of constitution of this fair forum... [​IMG]

4. Yes, too many to bore you with. And most of them involve not catching anything!
    Sea fishing from a boat is my passion.

5. Actually I am just off on holiday to Kenya to stay with my aunt and her husband (who is not my uncle) - he is a very keen game fisherman, but sadly I think it is not fishing season so the boat won't be going out. In season he goes daily, I believe. If we are lucky I will have an opportunity to add to this thread upon my return.
    Please tell the horrid story.

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It is quite disgusting and actually happened to Mr manny's friend.
    Okay, here goes...
    Chap is togged up in full fishing gear, inc chest waders. Suddenly he takes a pain mid cast and realises that he'll have to find a bush and do the inevitable.

So he takes off the chesties and lays them at the side of the river bank, finds aforementioned bush and proceeds to do what bears do in the woods...

Unfortunately, the bush is at the top of the slope leading down to the river bank and he watches in horror as his wee jobbie rolls merrily down the slope and scores a hole in one down the leg of his waders.
    Apparently he 'poked it out with a stick' and carried on fishing.
    The horror, the horror!!! [​IMG]

7. What a **** story.

8. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Nice 3lb sea bass caught earlier this year (I'm not allowed to say where):
    [​IMG]

9. Marvellous story!
    Can waders be rinsed out prior to being put on? Or would that defeat the purpose?
    I confess I am a little worried about his bowels, I am sure a "wee jobbie" should not be so robust.

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Arf!

11. That does look a lovely fish.
    Is the place it was caught a secret because it was illegal or to keep it from being swarmed by marauding teachers on the lookout for a lovely free bit of dinner?

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You can rinse them out, but never, ever put them in a washing machine (we did that and the consequences were bad).
    Most waders start leaking after a few months anyway and they usually need to be replaced once a year. Bloody expensive business.

13. Looks like it was caught on a fly, judging by rod/reel. Superb!

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Not illegal, rusty (honest!), but not many people know about it and so it's top secret to stop the commercial anglers swarming in. Bass is big business.
    Torness nuclear power station is a well known top mark for bass. The water is warmer there (for obvious reasons) and the bass like that. They do have a tendency to glow in the dark though... [​IMG]

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Well spotted! I'd post a pic of the fly, but I haven't got a clue which one it was. Will pass on your compliment.
    It was right tasty too. [​IMG]

16. Oh yes. I have fished another time. Well I say "I have fished", but it is an overstatement (like the other time, in fact, with the galjoen). When I was 18 I sailed from the Seychelles to Cyprus on a 47' yacht with my dad and my boyfriend and 2 French crew. My first ever time on a boat and I couldn't get off it for 2 months. We would get flying fish jumping onto the boat. The crew used to bbq them and eat them whole, like bananas. Also sometimes we would throw a line over with just a hook, no need for any bait, and you would catch a fish, or maybe you would not. I think those were tuna.
    Does that count? If you weren't wearing waders and only threw a line off the back of a boat in the middle of the Indian Ocean?

17. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Five and a half pound sea trout (note cunning use of ruler to denote size):
    [​IMG]
    Just to point out to any anti blood sport posters, the vast majority of fish are returned and not killed (conservation measures).

18. Lovely. I wouldn't have thought it counts as blood sports if you eat it yourself.

19. Oh yes, that counts. Big time!

20. Hang on!! What about the one that was described as "tasty"?? I doubt he was in very good condition when he got returned!!