1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fish pie question

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Adularia, Apr 2, 2012.

1. I have decided I want to make fish pie tonight. I've been looking at recipes on the bbc good food site and the recipes seem mainly for white fish and it is poached in milk etc. I wanted to use a mix of fish and was wondering if I can poach salmon and prawns in the same way? I'm not overly experienced with cooking fish...

2. I have decided I want to make fish pie tonight. I've been looking at recipes on the bbc good food site and the recipes seem mainly for white fish and it is poached in milk etc. I wanted to use a mix of fish and was wondering if I can poach salmon and prawns in the same way? I'm not overly experienced with cooking fish...

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, but if the prawns are pink, they're cooked already.

4. Thank you [​IMG]

5. salty smoked fish adds an extra something to a fish pie, too,

6. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I'm totally with you on this!
    Always go for a natural smoke - no bright saffron yellow hue!...and the milk from poaching makes the best sauce!
    It is also absolutely necessary to serve peas with fish pie...frozen or canned is perfectly acceptable.

7. Why dye fish anyway?The smoke is obvious from the taste
    I like spinach and strong cheddar in fish pie too, with baked beans as accompaniment

8. Best fish pie recipe I've ever cooked - from Rick Stein's Seafood
    Ingredients
    1 medium onion, halved
    2 cloves
    2 bay leaves
    600 ml full fat milk
    400 ml double cream
    350 g cod fillet, skinned
    350 g smoked cod or haddock fillet, skinned
    4 eggs
    1 egg yolk
    120 g butter
    50 g plain flour
    2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
    1 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
    1.25 kg Maris Piper potatoes
    Salt and white pepper
    Method
    1. Stud each onion half with a clove.
    2. Place onion in a large pan with the fish, bay leaves, cream and 450 ml milk.
    3. Bring to a very gentle boil and simmer very gently for 7 minutes.
    4. Strain cooking liquor into a jug and break up fish into chunks, discarding bones.
    5. Place fish in the bottom of the pie dish.
    6. Hard boil the eggs for 9 minutes and peel when cooled. Cut into chunks and place on top of the fish.
    7. Melt half the butter in a clean pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
    8. Take the pan off the heat and gradually add the fish cooking liquor, stirring constantly.
    9. Return the pan to the heat and slowly bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
    10. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes very gently.
    11. Remove from the heat and season with the parsely, nutmeg, salt and white pepper.
    12. Pour sauce over the fish and egg and leave to cool.
    13. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
    14. Boil the potatoes and make a seasoned mash with the egg yolk and the rest of the butter.
    15. Spread the mash over the filling from the outside in and mark the surface with a fork.
    16. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes until surface is golden brown.
    Enjoy!

9. I hope that's not as bland as it sounds.

10. you could always bung in 5 tbsp cumin and 10 tbsp cayenne for your eclectic tastes

11. I've only just had time to come back to this thread, thank you for all the replies! Didn't have fish pie in the end but I am definitely going to make it soon [​IMG]