1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Fish for beginners

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by bizent, Jul 21, 2019.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

I might have mentioned that we orf to Spain tomorrow.
    I am determined to try and be a little more adventurous and confront my fear of fish.
    Where should I start? The word “trout” makes my tummy squirm so I’m not sure that’s a good dish to try.
    I’ve tried and like whitebait, prawns and breaded cod.

2. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

It depends on what they offer. Bream is good and do try squid!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Clams are good there.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You won't get trout in Spain.
    They do great cod and monkfish.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. primarycat

Turbot is expensive but a firm white fish with a good texture and flavour that you might like.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'd go with a recommendation from a local. They're best placed to be able to tell you what's in season and what's 'good'.

Though I agree any white fish tends to be good and if you like oily fish such as mackerel, you may be able to get sardines. They're nothing like the ones in tomato sauce you get in tins over here. ;)

7. primarycat

I struggle with them. Those tiny bones. I end up coughing like a cat with a hairball.

jules9 and Morgelyn like this.
  8. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Yes @Lara mfl 05 i was thinking sardines or similar as we saw them a lot when we were in Javea.

nizebaby and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Fresh tuna steak is a "meaty" fish. It's delicious and doesn't taste particarly "fishy".

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed when I first served fresh tuna to my boys they thought it was chicken. :rolleyes:

nizebaby and sparklepig2002 like this.
  11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

My son thought it was a pork chop. :D

12. Morgelyn

Morgelyn New commenter

I suffer from the 'I want to be adventurous' mood occasionally. On my recent trip to France, I visited the local fish market twice. The first time, I played safe and bought sardines, which I butterflied and butter-fried , delicious! It was on the second occasion that I was bolder and bought "vives". With a bit of mime on my part, I persuaded the vendor to gut the fish, and remove heads and tails.
    Only later did I realise that I had bought weaver fish, a delicacy in France, but also a poisonous species, with the toxins being located in spines and gills.Sometimes the toxins bleed into the flesh...
    Commonsense told me that the market wouldn't exist if customers copped it regularly after buying vives.I filleted the fish, having washed it thoroughly. Grilled with lemon, it was delicious.
    My advice? Google translate whatever it is you are going to buy before the event! Have a great holiday!

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Bass will be banging in Spain. They also eat a lot of hake. Red and grey mullet, too. Grilled sardines are sensational when fresh. You'll also get lots of octopus and calamari. Huge gambas in plenty of garlic and olive oil. Salt cod, or bacalau will also feature too.

A seafood paella is a must. Avoid the chain places and find a local restaurant that does a huge paella every Sunday - get local recommendations!

Also fiduea, which is like paella but with vermicelli type noodles instead of rice.

And Zarzuela, if you can find it, can be sensational. Spain's version of bouillabaise.

I'm jealous!

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Don't forget La Boqueria, superb fish there.

15. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Calamari is a must try and if you have tried and liked other white fish, then give hake a go as it has quite a meaty texture. Another vote for tuna as well.

16. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Bizent, yesterday we bought two small plaice at the market where we're staying in normandy. I asked the fishmonger to fillet them, so each plaice had four smallish, boneless fillets. These I dipped in seasoned flour then gently fried in butter for a couple of minutes on each side till they were opaque - not a moment more.

It couldn't have been simpler. We ate the fish with new potatoes and nizeman's parsley sauce. He actually made a roux and then cooked it with cream and milk, but you can just heat cream wirh a bit of butter and it'll be lovely. Salt, pepper and finely chopped curly-leaf parsley. So easy and delicious! You can cook any white fish like this. I just happen to adore plaice.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.