1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First year 9 options eveing!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by anon2047, Dec 23, 2011.

1. After christmas i start my first job and have a year 9 options eveing. Obviously it is in my interest to recruit as many students as possible. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? As far as I am aware no demonstrations will be given and I am trying to think of ideas to interest the students - we do OCR Nationals.
    Many thanks
    Jaime

2. After christmas i start my first job and have a year 9 options eveing. Obviously it is in my interest to recruit as many students as possible. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? As far as I am aware no demonstrations will be given and I am trying to think of ideas to interest the students - we do OCR Nationals.
    Many thanks
    Jaime

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Marketing an option subject is a delicate balance between attracting viable numbers of those who want to do it, whilst implying that the subject is maybe just a bit too demanding for the out and out plonkers, who'd be better off doing something else. Inevitably one or two plonkers will get tacked onto your groups by SLT when it becomes clear that nobody wants them, but the more you can keep from choosing it in the first place the better things will go for you. In fact, if you've got any Year 9 classes on your timetable make sure you're an absolute swine to any slackers until the options process is safely over, then they'll steer well clear of your subject in Y10.

Do not have any naive moral scruples about this, because I can absolutely guarantee that other more experienced staff in other subjects will be desperately trying to shovel them your way ("Maybe Danny should consider something a bit more practical like ICT? Does he spend a lot of time on his computer at home? Well there you are then - I suggest you have a chat with Mr/Mrs/Miss XXX on the ICT table over there").

The options process is one of the first things I refer back to if kids start whingeing about their chosen course during the first term of Y10. They need to be absolutely certain what they're opting into before they make the choice, so glossing over any dull bits and overemphasising the interesting stuff will ultimately backfire on you.

A display of high-achieving assessed coursework/portfolios from the previous year is always a good talking point, and the level of effort that is clearly required for success acts as a strong deterrent to any idlers, knaves, rogues, and ne'er do wells.

4. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

Be aware of the 2014 "only GCSEs count" for league tables. Check with SMT that they're happy to stick with OCR Nationals.
    There is a degree of truth in the above post, though remember that people could potentially be made redundant if you don't get the numbers.
    Recruiting for KS4 courses starts well before. This is why it's essential to make KS3 ICT fun and exciting, which typically means throwing APP tickboxes out of the window. I have spoke with a big group of ICT teachers about the importance of this.
    A consierable part of ICT is about solving problems. If you consistently base your lessons on solvable problems, then students will become more and more intrigued about the subject. When students start asking you more questions about how they can further their ICT work, then you know you are being successful.
    Part of your job of being a teacher is not just about imparting subject knowledge, but inspiring students - even those that can be more difficult to work with.
    Evidently it is essential that students make an INFORMED decision! Practise your 'sales' technique and you'll get close to what you want.