1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First words...?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by freckle06, Aug 17, 2019.

1. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

A post about marble runs got me thinking. What were you/siblings/spouse/child's first words?

My sister's was 'grape' - I used to take her to our parents greenhouse to look at the bunches of grapes.
    One of my daughter's early words was 'blood' as she fell out of the pushchair as she wouldn't let grandma strap her in!
    My son's first word was 'Albert' as this was the name of my brother's dog that he was so fond of.

Me... ' mama' :rolleyes:

les25paul likes this.
  2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Mine was Daddy. My brother’s was bus. He was 13 at the time ...
    (This is a gag ... but he did talk late and I do still tease him about it)

3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

My big brother's first recognizable phrase was "Me more tato."

emerald52 likes this.
  4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

I really can't remember. Time has eroded my brain I'm afraid. None of you would remember either as you are too young to know. hmm

5. JosieWhitehead

I rather think it might have been 'Hitler' though. Only joking of course.

6. JosieWhitehead

Oh dear, what a hash I'm making of these comments. Don't ask me such difficult questions again. :)

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

After Mama and Dadad (they both said that), my elder said Dog and the younger Duck, both in response to pictures in books. I dont know what GD1's first non-parental word was but GD2's was Moooooon.

freckle06 likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

"Go back"
    (My mother never allowed me in the kitchen. That's why my cooking is pants!)

9. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

When I was at primary school, we were asked to find out what our first word had been. My mum couldn't remember...

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Can’t remember either of our two’s - and tbh I doubt that there is a firm line between the constant gabbling and a fully formed word. I suppose it is all in the ears of the listener; people love to translate baby gibberish into real words pretty early.

I do remember Elder (only that time) Pee singing
    “bum, bum uh uh m m .........cuuuuuum”

freckle06 and primarycat like this.
  11. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

My son used to put his arms out and look at me saying 'dumpy rooolll'

Turned out he wanted to play humpty dumpty like we did at the swimming pool. Took weeks to work out... :rolleyes:

How do you put a spoiler in?

12. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Our son also came home from preschool talking about his friend with the name of your spoiler - took a long to work out he was actually called Brim!

13. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

My eldest daughter’s first word was sausage...probably because the only way we could get her to eat any meat was to tell her it was a sausage!

nizebaby and freckle06 like this.
  14. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I have no idea. My mother was not keen on the baby phase of motherhood so she clearly didn't treasure our first of anything in her impatience for us to grow up into more interesting human beings. There are no fond anecdotes of our first of anything...very few photos either,

15. May2

May2 Established commenter

My eldest didn't do any of the normal babbling and I remember a health visitor check up when asked if she babbled dadada and I said no, she made me feel as if she was behind. She used to sit taking it all in and started saying real words at about 10 months. The first were cat and duck. It is lovely how they all learn in their different ways.

freckle06 likes this.
  16. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I've heard the Dalai Lama's first words were '...as I was saying...'

cassandramark2 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  17. caress

caress New commenter

I thought that was the chorus to Frankie Goes To Hollywood! :)

colpee likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Having seen this thread, I asked me wife, and she could not remember either.

19. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

One of my sons first word was, "cow",
    his twin brother's was "cat"
    and the eldest was more traditional, "dad".

The twins were calling each other with a name composed by both of his names.