1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first week blues!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ev11, Sep 13, 2011.

1. I have the blues, is anyone else finding it really hard to settle into the new swing of things again and know exactly where the children are and all that jazz. I spent ages planning my first maths week back only to discover it was all far too easy and Lit too hard. (Levels before hand would have been nice!)
    I am now spending evenings trying to plan more lessons and getting very disheartened.I was really excited for a first week back with good lessons but instead I was greeted with bored children and a sense of panic that I would now have to redo them all. Not the week I wanted. Am I alone?

2. Don't worry! You aren't alone! I feel like that too, I've moved year groups and am struggling to get to grips with what they can and can't do. Felt rubbish after today, this afternoon was terrible! Anyway, I'll try again tomorrow! I'm sure it's going to get easier!

3. No you are not alone. I've had numerous ups and downs since we started back. I burst into tears one morning last week and virtually had a panic attack at the enormity of it all!! But then, I had a brilliant day the next day and my confidence soared. This week is a bit chaotic with everything starting up properly (intervention groups, swimming, PPA etc etc) so the kids have been a bit unsettled. Also I think they are now finding their feet and pushing the boundaries. Needless to say, today was a bit naff. I'm teaching in a different year group this year so there's a lot to learn. I just keep reminding myself that we are only 6 days in, and as long as I do something to chip away at the job list each day, then it will be fine. Just take it a day at a time.
    Maybe you could ditch the planning for one day or morning and do some assessments to make your own judgement about where you need to pitch it?? Good luck [​IMG]

4. Exactly beckycharles! Me too!

5. Assessments sound good and a nice bit of silence. Glad I am not alone, you have six weeks off and tou stilll feel no where near prepared. I think you are right about the rountines coming up and intervention, it all seems to be happening so quickly and I just want one decent lesson to get the confidence up. Still feel like holiday mode and stabbing in the dark.
    Blergh, come on weekend!

6. Yes, definitely still finding my feet. New year group, although most children I already know, so a different set of planning. Feeling like I'm re-training them all - follow instructions, hands up, not running everywhere, tucking chairs in instead of climbing over.... Everything is taking 400 times as long as it should!
    My to-do list currently (STILL!) includes:
    • start Guided Reading
    • give children their targets
    • put that work we did last week when we had no books up on the wall
    • magic up some time to get together and put up our year group displays in a corridor
    • put APP sheets in a folder
    • put results of tests into a table, rather than scrawling them on the front of papers
    • take photos of children for display
    Oh, and learn to work with a new year group partner...chalk and cheese, I think!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL mine is identical to yours! And has other things adding to it on a daily basis.

And today I actually had a lesson where I felt I was teaching and they actually learned! Amazing!

8. YES! Science this afternoon = loads of vocab, an experiment and we might even have reached the correct conclusion!!