1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First week back writing tasks

Discussion in 'Primary' started by groovyshell83, Aug 27, 2012.

1. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I am wracking my brains trying to find a fun way to do some writing in the first week in ks2. I want to establish basic grammar rules eg sentence strucutre and really clamp down on messy handwriting so don't want them having to write too much as my aim is to get good quality. I ideally want to make a class book and saw on pinterest some really good art activities representing each child that they could do to go in there but want some writing about themselves to go in it too. has anyone got any good ideas that I could do without going for the same boring thing eg All About Me blah blah blah

2. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

I am wracking my brains trying to find a fun way to do some writing in the first week in ks2. I want to establish basic grammar rules eg sentence strucutre and really clamp down on messy handwriting so don't want them having to write too much as my aim is to get good quality. I ideally want to make a class book and saw on pinterest some really good art activities representing each child that they could do to go in there but want some writing about themselves to go in it too. has anyone got any good ideas that I could do without going for the same boring thing eg All About Me blah blah blah

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

What about an "All About Me" set in the future?
    So, trying to write as if they were them in 15-20 years time: make up a career, a family, a hobby, etc.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm going to be using one of the clips on regencyrob's fabulous Literacy Shed site to inspire my first week writing tasks. So many on there, so much inspiration.
    Must admit, I'm not keen on 'all about me' writing tasks at the best of times but I've got the same class as last year so I know them all very well anyway!

5. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

Mine are going to write a letter to my class pets (two dog toys)...not sure whether to write about summer holiday or themselves.
    Hopefully will establish starting points, an immediate target, and lots more

6. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

I'm going to do a few days on Cinderella as I'm hoping they know it quite well already. I'm going to read the traditional story then read an alternative one told from the wicked stepmothers point of view. We'll then do some work on this and then I'm hoping they'll retell the story from Prince Charming's point of view (independently). I know it's not about them but thought I'd share anyway!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We are doing some work on Fantastic Mr Fox and I'm going to link it to why they are fantastic. Hoping to create a great display in the corridor to last most of the first half term.

http://www.nationalschoolspartnership.com/mrfoxresourcesnew2010.html

But I do have a week and a half to fill.