1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First week back off timetable...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Larisa2009, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Chn are back in school on Tuesday and we are supposed to be off timetable for the first two weeks. I am moving up to year 5 from year 1 and after planning lots of 'bitty' activities to fill the week, I was thinking of doing some sort of mini topic/project. Wondered if anyone else is in the same situation and what kinds of things other people are doing?
    Thanks

2. hammie

hammie Senior commenter

Not in the same position but am year 5...
    Obviously have to avoid all the other topics to come this year.
    Have you a favourite area that you enjoy, that is not being covered druing the rest of the year. That way you can start with something that you know well and can enthuse about easily.
    Where are you in the country, is there a local icon that you could work from?
    Or just a favourite book that you like
    Or something "you did on holiday, visited etc.."
    Having picked up a year five at Easter and seen how difficult they found factual writing as opposed to imaginative writing.. I would try and plan a topic to give you lots of input into descriptive factual writing skills.

3. Why are you off timetable?

4. hammie

hammie Senior commenter

good question! and i think a very bad idea. I do like a really organised start right from the off! Otherwise two of the best learning weeks can be wasted

5. I'm in year 5 this year too and I think we have 3 off timetable days at the start of the year. 2 weeks is a bit hefty :/ I was thinking of doing a 'what have we done/where have we been this summer', plot the places on a map of the world, find out about that country (so in pairs the other person finds out about their partner's destination etc), leads itself to presentations, how many miles did we fly, who travelled the furthest, diary of events. For chn who may not have gone abroad I'm going to blow up a map of England so they can plot the towns and still do the distance travelled etc. Then seeing how that goes maybe move onto a bit of persuasive writing - where do we want to go, why should we go there etc etc. Obviously that won't last two weeks but it will be one day/few days of activities? Added bonus the maps could go up as a display and fill some wall! Hope that helps xx

6. In the last school I was at most children won't have gone out of town never mind out of the country.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Search for 'theme park maths' on here. Would work well and you can add in lots of literacy/art/DT as well. And it make a fabulous display!

8. Could adapt it for a dream holiday -planning destinations, itineraries, persusasion etc in that case.

9. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Some HTs have strange ideas, probably just 'always did it this way'. We are supposed to spend the first couple of weeks reinforcing presentation and are not 'allowed' to write in books. To this end our pupil books are not usually ordered till the first week back. Therefore in the last few weeks of the previous school year most of us sneak books out of stationery cupboard, or salt them away over the last half term. Clandestine writing - its pitiful. How writing on bits of paper torn from exercise books never to see your work again is supposed to improve presentation is beyond me like.[​IMG]

10. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

A good hint from my Literacy co-ordinator... Have them write about a holiday event from their POV, then write about the same event from a sibling's POV (or an imaginary sibling) giving opposing thoughts and feelings about what happened.
    Or have a look at this Science investigation.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Make some guidelines on Excel, takes a few seconds. And give the children plain A4 or A5 paper to write on.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Minnieminx's idea for guideline is good. Print off onto card &keep them all year for 'Best presentation work, just need paperclips to hold the papers in place.
    Holidays is a good topic for Yr5, fits into Geography unit & MFL Going to school. Lots of Maths opportunities,artwork etc.

13. It's Roald Dahl Day very soon, you could a project on that. Look at the website for ideas.
    I', sure I found something on here a while ago about George's marvellous medicine and using it to challenge the children to make a potion themselves. Looked brilliant!

14. sally90

sally90 New commenter

When is Roald Dahl Day please?

15. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

13th September