1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

First wageslip, no tax and NI paid?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cliveceltic, Jul 15, 2011.

  1. Ok so since 1st April I am signing on for jsa til I get enough work not to. Just got my wage in for my first batch of supply and it was £367.5 with no tax or NI paid. As you can see I hardly worked the last month at £105 per day! I thought at least I was meant to pay NI even if not earning enough to pay tax. Would hate to be asked for it back!
  2. You should be paying tax and NI.
  3. I've had this, too, with a company that I worked for before that did take tax and NI off last time. I've queried it and was told that I probably hadn't earnt enough to pay it, and they would keep their eye on it. This company has recently had a change, so I'm not sure if it's something to do with that. I think I'll ring the Inland Revenue on my next 'day off'. I love to get a tax rebate, but don't want to find out that I owe them money!
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You haven;t earned enough to pay NI on a month's pay. You need to have earned almost £400 gross to pay NI. If you'd been paid weekly for one day at £105, you would have paid a small amount of NI.
    As for tax, you can earn £623 per calendar month free of tax. You weren't paid anything in April, May or June so have £1872 of potential earnings that will be free of tax. You've only had £367 of that so next month you'd have to earn over £ 2128 (£1505+ next month's £623) before paying tax .
    At the end of the tax year, you need to look at your gross taxable pay received (on any P60 or combined P45s and add that to your JSA 'earnings'. JSA is potentially taxable but you still pay nothing in tax if your combined money comes to under £7475.
    If you get a f/t job, the JSA will send you a P45, as will your agency/agencies and you give those to the new employer. they then sort out your taxcode and you should be straight on the PAYE system by the end of the tax year.

  5. Thanks for the really comprehensive answer. I shall keep an eye on things.

Share This Page