1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Tutors Premium service

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bobvincent, Mar 20, 2012.

1. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I've tutored for over 12 years as an unqualified teacher and as a qualified teacher and parents really don't know the difference. They think unqualified means no qualifications at all when all it means is not having QTS. Many tutors have Masters and Doctorates. As long as the tutor has a degree or is working towards a degree, most parents will think it's okay. There are some 'posh' agencies catering for the exclusive areas in London and their tutors are charging £35+ an hour and many aren't qualified, some are just A level students. There is one agency that used to be called Oxbridge tutors and boasted all its tutors were Oxbridge students or graduates.

2. being tutored by A level students is unacceptable, isn't it?

3. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I was always under the impression that the basic minimum 'qualification' to tutor would be to have completed one level above the subject being taught. So students doing A-level Biology require a tutor with a Degree in Biology. I can't believe parents will pay other A-level students to teach their children the same level or even help with GCSEs. Luckily, there seem to be enough sane people in my area willing to pay for someone with better qualifications.

4. There are sane people who know the tutor needs qualifications, but there are also those who prefer to pay £10 or £15 rather than £20 or £25 for someone who really knows his stuff. Or hers.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Absolutely. Many parents think getting 2 hours at £10 from whoever and his wife is better than £20 from a qualified teacher. The agencies that charge £35 will ensure the tutors have the qualifications and are CRB checked but with First Tutors the onus is on the parents to do the checking. In all my years, I haven't had a parent ask to see my qualifications or CRB but a few have asked to see my references. They are very trusting folk: parents are open to a lot of exploitation. All they want is the tutor to say, 'Yes, your Alan CAN get a scholarship at such and such private school or Mandy can get into the County grammar.' When you tell them that their child's levels are too far below what is necessary to pass, they will happily ditch you for someone who 'promises' to get their child into a top school. You bump into them in Tescos months later and find out they child has failed. I have always operated with integrity and I have lost money and been shouted at by parents who don't want to hear the truth. In my local area, the grammar school tests have become considerably harder as more middle class parents can not afford to put their children in private schools (whilst the Sats have become easier). More children who would have passed in the grammar tests 5 years ago are failing.

6. Didnt work for me, i did sign up for Grade A Tutors premium service however and have had a couple of clients from that

7. profmatt

profmatt New commenter

First Tutors used to be excellent for me, but it has been very quiet recently, despite my paying for the premium service. I'm getting far more enquiries now through Tutor Hunt. This may be because Tutor Hunt now comes higher in organic Google listings than First Tutors. I won't continue to pay First Tutors for nothing.

8. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

How does the premium thing work then? What do you pay and what do they claim that you get for your money?

9. profmatt

profmatt New commenter

You get access to some interesting data, e.g. what other tutors are charging, and your details are highlighted and put at the top of searches.

10. langteacher

Fair enough with being put to the top etc but surely anyone can look and see what others are charging just by doing a search?

11. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

The couple of notifications I got from First Tutors were both far away. And one of them was a tuition centre looking to pay a derisory amount.

Tutor Hunt, by contrast, offers a lot more leads, though I've had no joy from any of them yet. This might be because some were a few miles away ( though no where near as far as First Tutors), or the students where pampered kids who expect tutors to waste time coming out to them. Of course, I'd be happy to oblige as long as their parents picked up the tab for travelling expenses and all the travelling time.

12. I never paid any company to advertise my tutoring.

I got a couple of people through first tutors (free) but the vast majority of my clients found me on tutor hunt.

13. langteacher

I have a few from first tutors (not premium just the free bit) a few from UK tutors, a few from tutor hunt, a few from gumtree and some from word of mouth. I have never paid anything to advertise. I paid for some business cards but that's all.

14. I tried the First Tutors Premium service last year but got nothing from it. Occasionally, I will get a small list of potential student from them but these were all over the country.

I have been with Tutor Hunt for a couple of years, and I have had only one lead from them that has developed into anything lasting more than a couple of weeks. London is saturated with tutors, so you get a lot of time-wasters, trying to get your services for £10 per hour, or less!.

Like David Getling, I have found so strange folk on both tutor sites. As well as other tutoring agencies trying to poach you and get you involved in 'loss-leader schemes, I have had identically worded requests, phrased in such a way as to give the impression that the writer was not fully conversant with English, with only name and the subjects changed.

Neither site has been particularly productive.

15. Bashkemesuesi

Bashkemesuesi New commenter

Wow.

Now this (NB the bolding is mind, and I've deleted agency names the original poster wasn't meant to name) looks like a case even worse than my own. I don't know if Ben Farrow's still active on this site, but that's an extraordinarily poor record of students just dropping out after one or two sessions. Ben, if you're still around, please head over to the "Students stopping" thread and sound off to your heart's content!

16. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

I am not a qualified teacher but I have been tutoring full time in my second year now. I have some school experience as a Cover Supervisor, I am using just my Bartchelors degree plus a Higher degree, I charge £25 per hour for GCSE and £30 per hour for A Level. Before the lockdown I was clearing £750 per week. I would advise you to maintain your price and advertise more, eventually you will see rewards. If you lower your price people will not take you seriously or they may ask you to lower it even further.

17. langteacher

I would not pay that for someone without a teaching qualification

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Is that a degree awarded by the Simpsons University of Springfield?

gainly likes this.