1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First Tutors Premium service

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by bobvincent, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Has anyone registered with First Tutors paid for Premium membership , and has it helped attract more clients?

2. Has anyone registered with First Tutors paid for Premium membership , and has it helped attract more clients?

3. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

Guess it depends on how many similar tutors there are in you area? I might be tempted if my area was swamped, but luckily for me, there are only a few biology tutors at the moment!

I think they may be struggling at the moment, ever since they had to remove the fees for tutors. Also, I've had more and more enquiries from parents who find my details on First tutors, then get my phone number from directory enquiries!!

4. I went ahead and bought the enhanced membership. We'll see

5. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

Let us know how it goes!!

6. Sure. Will do

7. I bought to the enhanced package last year; nothing so far.

8. I bought it and I've gone from having a slow but good quality stream of students, to a rush of time wasters.

9. If you charge £20 an hour for a quality service, as I do, we're being undercut by less experienced people content with £10 or £15 . But I'm not lowering my price

10. I don't use the premium service but have had quite a few enquiries from the site. Don't worry about being undercut by less qualified tutors- most parents who are serious about tutoring a willing to pay a little bit more for qualified and experienced teachers.

11. I hope so, but last year I had a good number of new students at Easter wanting tuition before their exams in May and June, but this year next to no-one . is the economy so bad that parents can't spare a hundred quid to improve their kids'chances? I have a good reputation and haven't raised my prices.

12. I do think the recession is having an effect on parents who are able to pay for tuition and it means they are being more careful about who they choose as a tutor.

13. What subject do you teach Bob? I do know certain subjects are more popular than others...

14. English

15. First_Tutors

First_Tutors New commenter

Hello Bobvincent,
    We would very much appreciate any feedback you can send us regarding First Tutors subscription service or any other aspect of our tutoring service. We are always keen to hear what our tutors have to say and welcome any comments or suggestions.

In reply to bananamoore, we would like to clarify that we are not struggling since we abolished tutor fees but we are frustrated that we are alone in our efforts to comply with Employment Agency regulations!

We also would be interested to hear from tutors regarding tuition fees that parents are paying now. Have fees lowered in general due to the recession? We think not, but the truth will be in the stats over time.

If you wish to contact us directly just click on the "contact us" (upper right hand corner on our home page.)

Many thanks!
    First Tutors Team.

16. Two new short-term customers since I paid for the premuim service

17. This year just gone (I'm on a break now till September because of the baby) I found I was fighting enquiries off! Don't know what had happened (but with one of the LEAs near me I'm guessing an element of disenchantment with the local schools) but it went insane... got kids lined up for September when I'm only running a limited service anyway (not taking on my usual number with such a small little-one to care for) and almost fully booked for them.
    That's primary around a few fairly affluent neighbourhoods though - I'm fairly well situated in the sort of area where people tend to pay out for this sort of thing anyway.

18. catbefriender

catbefriender New commenter

£20 an hour for a qualified teacher, which is what I assume you are is extremely good value. Many agencies and tutorial centres are charging £35 an hour and providing undergraduate students, paying them around £15-18 and taking the rest in commision and admin costs. So definately stick to your guns. We all know how much we are worth.

19. thanks. I will . But there are cheap tutors here in West Yorkshire charging £15 or even £10, and who claim to be able to tutor any subject they have a GCSE in. Some are not even qualified teachers, and will provide a second-rate service .