1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time teaching Year 1 - Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by llinosjenkins, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm moving down from Year 4 to Year 1 next week and it will be the first time I've taught in the Foundation Phase. I'm struggling to think of what to do with them on the first day, all my usual tricks are a bit too challenging for them. I'd like to do some creative activities so they have something to take home and also need to cover rules and rewards etc but I'm not really sure how to deliver it to them!
    Could anyone help me with some ideas for what they did on their first day with a Year 1 class? I'd really appreciate any ideas!
    Thanks!!

2. Hi,
    I'm moving down from Year 4 to Year 1 next week and it will be the first time I've taught in the Foundation Phase. I'm struggling to think of what to do with them on the first day, all my usual tricks are a bit too challenging for them. I'd like to do some creative activities so they have something to take home and also need to cover rules and rewards etc but I'm not really sure how to deliver it to them!
    Could anyone help me with some ideas for what they did on their first day with a Year 1 class? I'd really appreciate any ideas!
    Thanks!!

3. Hi,
    This will be my third year teaching year 1 so i can give you a few ideas that may help. I usually start with showing the children where they will find different things in the classroom then do a quick game to see who remembers where resources can be found. I get the children to come up with rules they think will make the class a great one and choose some children to copy these onto paper and make a big display about class rules which the children paint and decorate. (I will be making a big chef that says recipe for a fun classroom) the children can paint and decorate this throughout the day. It is usefuI to get the children to do some writing so you can assess where they are from day 1. You could make postcards for the children to write / draw what they did in the school holidays. I usually do an art afternoon where the children start to build the roleplay area. Our first topic this term is 'Ourselves' so may get the children to create a picture of themselves to begin the working wall. Hope this helps a little bit, if i can help with anything else let me know.

4. Thank you so much that was really useful! Great idea with the Chef for showing them the rules, i'll definately be using that one and I hadn't thought about showing them where things were in the classroom. I've also popped the postcards idea into my plan so thanks loads for your help!

5. Your welcome. Try to make sure you have sand and water, construction, small world etc for the children to access throughout the day as part of transition from reception. I usually have these out all day and then after the main input I allow children to explore the activities as I call children over to complete what I have planned with myself or TA.