1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time teaching GCSE from BTEC

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by Sallyatk, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Sallyatk

Sallyatk New commenter

Hi all - I have taken over a seriously unloved Art dept in a new academy and feel a bit blindsided by the new GCSE details. In my last school I taught KS4 BTEC and KS5 AS (as a team). I have checked out the Edexcel website, and asked permission to go on the GCSE course run on the 25th (money is tight though). Is there anybody that could give me a brief run down of the linear 2012 exam? I have printed out the strands, ploughed through what (I think) are the three (?) areas my GCSE could cover (can you just chooses?) and need to write a SOW accordingly, preferably by Wednesday, when the HOF wants to see this and the Dept Improvement Plan. :eek:/

Help!

Sally

2. Sallyatk

Sallyatk New commenter

Hi all - I have taken over a seriously unloved Art dept in a new academy and feel a bit blindsided by the new GCSE details. In my last school I taught KS4 BTEC and KS5 AS (as a team). I have checked out the Edexcel website, and asked permission to go on the GCSE course run on the 25th (money is tight though). Is there anybody that could give me a brief run down of the linear 2012 exam? I have printed out the strands, ploughed through what (I think) are the three (?) areas my GCSE could cover (can you just chooses?) and need to write a SOW accordingly, preferably by Wednesday, when the HOF wants to see this and the Dept Improvement Plan. :eek:/

Help!

Sally

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I don't really understand your question...I think you might be complicating things.
    The course is linear because the exam is taken at the end.
    Up to about February in year 11 (when the exam papers are published) you should be working on the Personal Portfolio. What you do here is up to you really - but the projects should have enough flexibility to allow for personal responses from the students, while still covering all four assessment objectives.
    These are very simple: AO1 is developing their ideas and covers research, planning, looking at other artists etc. AO2 is about experimenting - with ideas, materials, processes, resources. AO3 is recording - drawing, taking photographs, annotation and the quality of these. AO 4 is the final response. You would really expect to cover these each time you do a big project. We do about 2 major projects over the course, although these would probably divide up into smaller units to keep the pace up and allow introduction of new skills..
    I tend to run the year 10 projects as more teacher-led and introducing different skills (while still coveing objectives and trying to encourage a degree of personal interpretation), year 11 I try to give them much more freedom, within the boundaries of a theme, but it depends on the individual student how far I'll let them go off on their own thing.
    When the exam papers are published in February of year 11, we start the exam prep. period (usually about 8 school weeks), when they interpret the given theme as before: Reseach and develop ideas, experiment, record, develop into final piece. The final piece is done in a 10 hour practical exam, usually taking two full school days.

4. Sallyatk

Sallyatk New commenter

Right - that makes more sense! I think trying to teach BTEC, AS and GCSE with various boards has addled my mind!

Thank you for the breakdown - that makes things seem clearer.