1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time teaching FE!

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by lillipad, Sep 15, 2017.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I've recently agreed to lead a couple of days teaching trainees about various things. The thing is, I'm a primary teacher by trade! So any top tips please? What do I do if they talk over me / heckle me?!

2. chwinc

chwinc New commenter

I teach fe I'm a qualified engineer 20 years in heavy industry with a pgce (which is mandatory for lecturesr )dealing with apprentices and fellow workers(the real world).
    You need to stamp your authority from day 1,no pussyfooting let them know you are in charge of the room.no smiling ( till christmas) .My attack mode first day is to tell them my background that I have been there ,bought the t shirt and video.This gains their respect.so dont tell them you have been teaching primary,this will open the doors to heckling.You might also be worrying about nothing.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. kluedo

kluedo New commenter

Most important rule is don't try to be their friend. You are not their friend you are their teacher and just as you would your primary kids, you will be firm but fair. You need to have, and keep, an air of authority. I, like the poster above do not relent on this until near to Christmas, until I have established mutual respect and I know who pushes the biggest problems. Even with authority you will get challengers. I teach Maths to fe students so I am dreaded (hated) haha....they most certainly do not want to have to be in my class but with a firm approach, giving and expecting respect they can be decent kids. If your lessons are interesting, small chunks of work with a good mixture of activity you should do ok. Biggest annoyance and distraction is inappropriate mobile phone use. Clamp down on it from day one, find out what the college/department policy is, enforce it and don't budge on it.
    My adults are much nicer to teach (they have chosen to be on their maths course) but most of the kids are fine too. As with all areas of teaching there is always the one that upsets things and we all have experience of those. Good luck :)

simonbfc likes this.
  4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Thank you.
    I'm in a different position as it's only a few days to teacher trainees, therefore I possibly don't have until Xmas to make an impression. Also I have to tell them I'm a primary teacher - that's why I'm there!
    I was thinking of doing an introduction to myself and how long I've been teaching / my experience as I am fairly young. I'm often asked how old I am, because people are surprised I'm in the positions I'm in.I'm hoping this will be a positive thing as it will show them what's possible.
    I was hoping that if I put in plenty of time for discussion and activity, this would keep them on task and engaged, rather than lecturing them.

5. chwinc

chwinc New commenter

Absolutely keep them busy, do not give them death by powerpoint,but you must be ready to give the ones that are more able some extra work(differentiation).
    Recently we had a young woman (about 25) come to our college to show us how to use the new interactive software programme we had bought from her company.She intoduced herself and explained that she had completed an apprenticeship in our vocation (automotive engineering) and qualified as a technician.She gained the respect of all the lecturers in attendance on her introduction,she displayed excellent knowledge of the subject in front of the audience ( age range 35- 58) .
    As I mentioned previously ,show them what you know,show them what they don't know.Prior knowledge assessment is a good tool to use ,I use it all the time with new subjects/ new learners.

6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

What are you teaching them? Just curious.

Also, since these people are trainee teachers, I would find it extremely surprising that they would dare heckle you or talk over you.

7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I'm confused: Are they trainee-teachers? If so, they will surely be given advice at their teacher training college. If you are teaching students who are preparing for work, they will need not only to learn the subject they are training in but you will be preparing them for the workplace; by treating them as adults unless they gave you reason to do otherwise. They are usually keen also that you show them that what they are learning will be really useful in helping them in future work, drawing on your own experience with examples of using what they are learning. I hope this helps. I taught in FE for more than 30 years and brought in a wealth of experience from the world of commerce and industry outside too.