1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Medusa10, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Medusa10

Medusa10 New commenter

I posted previously and still want to teach abroad before I retire. Which countries do people think are the best to start in?
    I am an experienced English teacher / senior leader. I've been out of teaching ( in school ) for 5 years but have been lecturing. I have Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy and an MA. I am a mature lady and have been made aware my age may be a disadvantage but I really want to give this a go.

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Hi, how mature are you might limit your chances in some countries due to visa requirements. Where in the world you wanna go would be easier if you answered that part yourself. The world is huge at times and what you would accept others might not & vice versa. Come back with a list of countries you’re interested in and then you might get a more tailored response.

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I seem to remember you said you were 54 in your previous post. As I said before I was 54 last time I was looking for a post and it wasn't too hard.

Decide what you want...beaches, culture, mountains, weather, money...then look into the possibilities. There's a lot of options.

Can highly recommend taking the plunge. Being overseas has kept me in teaching. I can't envisage still teaching were I to be in the UK.

4. cjdavis83

cjdavis83 New commenter

Rouxx, thanks for your comments in this thread. They are informative. I too I am looking at teaching overseas, i was thinking Thailand or maybe Spain. I understand what you mean about teaching in the UK. I feel like I have hhit saturation point after doing it now for 5 years in primary...I know that is not too long, but feel like I have been through enough to make me want something new. I have been offered a full time place in CE school in Southwark this September after doing short supply there in the summer term, however I am numbering my days before I decide to pack it all in...I have a mortgage with a partner and I feel like i am trapped...

5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I’m going to jump in here before certain posters come along and tell you Spain is a nightmare to work in.

Firstly, I have never worked there so it’s all hearsay and observations, but I do have property in Spain and have looked into working there. I also have friends in working in schools in Spain.

Salaries are low, lifestyle is great. My friends with double teaching income and two children are managing fine, luxury holidays appear to be a thing of the past for them, but they have the Med and the rest of Europe on their doorstep. They have bought a property, so appear to be deciding to settle. I did the sums and reckoned I would earn enough to live on as a single but would not save anything and that is taking into account I have a mortgage free property so no housing expenses.

6. cjdavis83

cjdavis83 New commenter

Ok - so basically with a joint mortgage under my name, this is not something I should be thinking about you are saying? Spain was just a random thought as I have been there so many times over the years personally. My preference probably is more with Asia...I have visited Thailand, hence why i suggested this..

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello. What is wrong with China? Yes, some cities are horribly polluted, but many are not. cjdavis81, I think that you should definitely add China to your list. Mrs. Hippopotamus and I very much enjoyed our five years in the Middle Kingdom. You can live very cheaply in China, if you want to, so you could save a bunch of cash.

While this smelly old hippo was on holiday in the Philippines, I met some Canadian teachers at a Canadian school in Shanghai. They said that you could double your salary, if you were prepared to do some extra tuition. Well, maybe that might be an important factor for some younger teachers.

Medusa10, I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things.

Hooray! I actually managed to write a post on the TES Teaching Abroad forum without mentioning Bulgaria...

8. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Not saying don’t do Spain...saying do your sums. That applies wherever you go.

There are many places in the world where you can earn a good salary, China (for the time being) still being one of them. Although packages in China are being eroded, Shanghai is a wonderful city and you can still earn pretty good money there. I wouldn’t do private tuition in China, the authorities are cracking down on visas and I wouldn’t wish to fall foul of them, particularly with this government, you never know when they might choose to make an example of someone.

There’s a big wide world out there. Don’t limit yourself to the places you’ve been to, take a leap and explore somewhere new. Two years goes by in a flash and then you can try somewhere else.

I hear, if you’re looking to save money, the Stans are the area to be in. Not for me though!

9. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Hi OP

It may not be something you have considered but in the SE Asian country in which I am most familiar, an MA is a powerful qualification and a requirement to be a principal. There will no doubt be a bundle of smaller schools who would be in need of such a well qualified person. I have previously worked under two principals both taking up their first ever leadership position. It could be an amazing, demanding and rewarding opportunity to lead a smaller school in its early years.

10. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

At the age of 54 you should have some idea on what your needs are. Yes, there are destinations that will limit your search. But at the end of the day you've got it to be realistic in meeting your obligations such a mortgage and funding your retirement.

If you're mortgage free and have an ok nest egg then you can pretty much pick and choose your school, and head straight over to destinations like Spain for the lifestyle it offers.

If at 54 you've got financial obligations that will require 10 more years of earnings then factors other than a change will determine how big you need to cast your net in.

Best of luck.