1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time supply: pay?!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mmmchocolate, May 19, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I recently finished a BEd, literally last week. I was then recommended to a school as a supply teacher by a mutual friend. The school rang me earlier in the week and asked me if I was available, which I was, to do supply this week. I finally got round to filling out the necessary payment forms etc at the end of the day and I didn't want to seem rude/desperate by asking how much I would actually get paid! However, I have been asked back to do supply next week and it is a fair way out and although I am very unlikely to turn down the work, I would like to know how much money I am getting (especially as it is quite a commute). I was wondering if anyone knows how I could find this out? I know I could be patient and wait for it to go into my bank account but being my first job, the suspense is killing me and I also don't know how long it takes to get paid either?!
    Any help would be great, thank you in advance :)

2. Hello,
    I recently finished a BEd, literally last week. I was then recommended to a school as a supply teacher by a mutual friend. The school rang me earlier in the week and asked me if I was available, which I was, to do supply this week. I finally got round to filling out the necessary payment forms etc at the end of the day and I didn't want to seem rude/desperate by asking how much I would actually get paid! However, I have been asked back to do supply next week and it is a fair way out and although I am very unlikely to turn down the work, I would like to know how much money I am getting (especially as it is quite a commute). I was wondering if anyone knows how I could find this out? I know I could be patient and wait for it to go into my bank account but being my first job, the suspense is killing me and I also don't know how long it takes to get paid either?!
    Any help would be great, thank you in advance :)

3. It's never easy to ask about pay, but you are providing a service for the school, and deserve to know if you are being paid a fair rate - just ask! Perhaps say you have been looking at registering with agencies aswell and want to compare rates or something along those lines ...
    Oh and congrats on the BEd and good luck with the supply (despite a lack of work, I have loved the days I have worked as a supply) :D

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you're directly employed by an LA school adhering to th National Pay Scale, then your pay should be calculated as annual salary divided by195, so its your annual pay divided by the number of days it's possible to work, so if you work every day of the year holiday is included just as if you had a permanent job.

5. If working for the LA, Lara is correct. You can ring the LA to check what daily rate they are paying you. They get calls like thhis all the time and should readily give you the info.
    If working for an agency-dont put the phone down before you check what rate they're paying. They may have already agreed a rate with you but certain agencies reduce it if given a chance. If you query it after the job they may, like a "C (ertai) n" agency, say that it varies according to schools.
    You have been warned!

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You're probably on M1 which is £21588 per annum for most of England and Wales, £27000 for Inner London, £25117 for OUter London and £22626 for the Fringe Area.

Daily LA pay is thus (divided by the 195 school days) ...£110-71 for most of England and Wales, £138-46 for Inner London, £128-80 for Outer London and £116 for the Fringe area.
    The daily rate includes pro-rata holiday pay. 25% of the pay is holiday pay.
    Contract teachers are in school for 39 weeks and on holiday for 13 weeks, making a 3:1 ratio the same as your supply pay (3 parts for the work and one part for the related holiday pay entitlement).

7. darkness

darkness New commenter

Are you working for the school, or through the LA supply pool, or self employed?

8. Thank you everyone for the information you have given although I do feel a little overwhelmed. This is all so new to me; I didn't even have supply down as something I was going to do. It was just kinda thrown at me and I thought it would be really stupid if I didn't accept!!
    Being an NQT, there is a certain limit isn't there on the amount of supply I can do before having to look for a fixed term/permanent job?
    Sorry for asking the stupid questions but I really don't have a clue [​IMG]
    Thank you for all of your help so far :)

9. Oh and Darkness, I am working through the LA supply pool I think as the adminstrator mentioned their name and that they need my info on their records etc and now I just sign in and out using the school's supply book.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If your first supply work is part of Induction, it doesn't eat into your 16 month Supply Rule allowance (which is actually a short-term supply allowance).
    If your first day of qualified supply (after you officially get QTS) is not part of Induction, it starts the supply 'clock' counting down and your permission to continue taking short-term supply teaching (less than a term's length per booking) lapses exactly 16 months later.
    A term's length is any point in one school term until at least the same point in the next. Bookings of that length, even during your 16 month allowance, should be part of Induction but the clock doesn't stop ticking down when you have Induction work.
    When the 16 month allowance is about to expire (a few weeks before) and you still haven't strated of completed Induction, you will either need an Induction post lined up or you need to apply to every LA where you might accept work for an extension to the 16 months.
    Each LA will consider your case and decide whether to award a supply extension. If they do, it can be anything from 1 to 12 months permission to carry on supply teaching in their schools.
    The 16 month limit and the extension apply to your work in State schools (not Post 16) whether you are LA employed of agency employed.
    Agencies generally do not understand the rules and continue to send teachers into State schools when they are not legally allowed to be there in a teaching capacity. If an incident in school involved an investigation, the illegality of the teacher's position would be established and they could be struck off the teaching register. They'd be the scapegoat in any post incident measures.

11. I have also just passed a PGCE in secondary mathematics but dont graduate until next month. I have a job starting septemeber but want to do some supply work from now until the end of term.
    Does anyone know whether I would be paid based on M1 on the quaified teachers payscale or would I be paid unqualified teacher rates?
    I need some help knowing what to accept and what not to!

12. The chances of you being offered any work at all at this stage is very slim. Your best chance will be at the school you are going to in September.

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Until yopu officially get QTS (probably in August) you would be paid on the Unqualified teacher payscale for any LA employment in schools
    Agencies don't pay qualified teachers on the M1-6 payscale but set their own daily rate (whatever they can get away with) and will pay those without QTS less.
    The Unqualified payscale can pay more than M1 ( even more than M2) but a soon-to-be NQT would get, at most, the paypoint on the Unqualified scale that is just below M1.
    The annual rate is divided by 195 to get the daily rate.
    You'd get between £70 and £100 per day depending on whether the school is in the London area ornot.
    Contact your local LA supply cover office to see if there's any chance of work before the end of the this term. Be aware however, that we career supply teachers have had trouble getting more than 20 days work all year so far! Most of my bookings have been for 2, 3 or 3.5 hours and have involved round trips of up to 85 miles.
    With so many of us who are already on the register sitting at home, twiddling our thumbs and waiting for a call, you may find that it's not going to be worth their while interviewing and setting up new recruits for just 4 or 5 weeks.
    Your best bet might be to contact your teaching practice schools to see if they can use you as a cover supervisor. Expect £50 per day.

14. If you're paid by the LA you're paid to scale as already described. If it's through an agency you will be paid a set rate. Don't be shy - ask them what they'll pay! If it is through an agency be aware that different agencies pay different rates so 'shop around'! Don't be loyal to an agency, register with several and if you're doing day to day supply, call all your agencies every morning at 7 to say you're available for work in order for them to put you first on the list. You need to be pro-active to get the work. And make a good impression at the school by marking all the work and leaving feedback about the day so they start to request you back.

It seems as if the supply situation is dire in some parts of the country but it depends where you are. I'm in North London and I get 3 - 5 days work every week except the first week back after a school holiday and this has been consistent since February. (Although I expect it will drop off in July as end of term nears). You are usually paid a couple of weeks after the work if you are working through an agency. Agency rates in London are £115 a day but I don't know if its a bit less for an NQT or not. Outside London I'd guess about £85 - £95 a day ish? Hope that helps.