1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time in career, at a low

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by chris1980, Mar 9, 2016.

1. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

I worked in a challenging mainstream school for over 10 years with no real issues, yes they were good and bad days but no problems at all.

Now im working in a Pupil Referral Unit and have done for nearly two years and have reached an all time low.
    I feel as though I cant take anymore, I am very stressed internally and match up with lots of symptoms for depression. I feel as though I am making no progress with these students and their behaviour is terrible, and I feel as though I am trapped here and hate coming to work everyday. I feel as though im at the point where im going to have to go off with stress as its really effecting me outside of school and my relationship with my partner at home.

Any advice/ experiences more than welcome

2. CharlieCharleston

CharlieCharleston New commenter

Hi Chris,

I didn't want to read and run. It sounds like you are having a hard time of it at the moment. Mainstream teaching is hard enough and I take my hat off to you for working in a PRU for the last two years. I don't suppose there is anyone you can speak to at work? Although from previous experience of feeling like this myself the support in schools can be pretty poor. The first thing I would advise you to do is go and see your Doctor and see if you can get signed off. No job is worth the stress and the way you are feeling. You can self certify for a week so perhaps do that then see how you get on although I think getting signed off is better as you then don't have to worry about setting any cover.

There is also the teacher support network: 08000 562 561

They can just be a sympathetic ear and a lot of the staff are ex teachers so understand how you are feeling, they will be able to give you some advice. You could also ask your Dr to be referred for some counselling if you think that would help to manage the stress.

Please take some time out for yourself even if it is just so you can plan an escape.

Best wishes

frangipani123 likes this.
  3. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

I saw my doctor and got some time off. Felt better initially but now its time to go back feeling really anxious and stressed again. Cant face going into school on Monday, think I'm going to have and see my doctor again.