1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First time for everything...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 10, 2019 at 5:15 PM.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Usually when buying fresh fish I ask them to head/tail and gut them... I forgot...

Never done it before... what a unique and fascinating experience....

That I never want to repeat. Not squeamish but fingers full of fish guts? Yeah.... not my thing.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

If you become famous Lan at least you will be OK on I’m a Celebrity now!

lanokia likes this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have a special Japanese knife for deboning fish. It works fantastically, it's like magic, I've done 2 fish with it in the last year and a half, at a cost of £35 per fish so far, but this will come down with more use.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Told MrsLan afterwards... she is suitably impressed and I have won points...

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, I don't have one of them... that would have been useful... griping a big slippery trout while trying to slice it open and as I squeeze it's mouth opens and closes... and me trying not to laugh.

primarycat and Mangleworzle like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It was trying to say "I'm absolutely gutted, mate."

Jamvic, install, jellycowfish and 4 others like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

At least ... for a moment... I had a friend...

install, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I poached a large salmon for a party recently. Every time I looked at its face I laughed. The whole expression was "I suppose you think this is funny, yes? Cluck this for a game of soldiers."
    Descaling it made the worst mess.

install, Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Good to see you're having a health diet, Lan. It's important not to leave it too late to think about our health. I managed to burn about 2100 calories on Friday. It wasn't that difficult. I dozed off after I put two portions of fish and chips in the oven.

10. Mangleworzle

Grippage (or lack thereof) is the hardest part, you have to hang on with your finger nails sometimes, but this can go wrong if a scale goes up there, and of course you have to remember to clean under them afterwards or the results are too gruesome.

I used to be a marine biologist in a former life and spent many an hour dissecting slippery fish in the cold, it wasn't the best part of the job.

I ask for them to be cleaned usually but always feel momentarily guilty for asking the lowly paid assistant to perform the gruesome task for me, it soon passes though.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And you weren't caught?

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hee-hee! Now why don't we have a smiley for that one?

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We bought some Sea bass from a supermarket and then realized they were still whole when we opened them up.

Bit of a faff to do all the butchery work but very tasty after cooking.

bombaysapphire and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thanks for that... made me laugh

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On the second fish I was looking at the innards trying to figure out what was what... I think I identified the heart and liver.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  16. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Do your fingers smell really fishy? That should go by about Thursday!

install, Mangleworzle and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I went on a survival type course a while ago where we had to skin and fillet a deer. Mercifully it had already been gutted, but the head still had to come off. On the same course one of our number volunteered to skin a Catfish and it took her about half a day, as we weren't allowed to use metal tools.

The new thing I learned about fish was that it's not the scales that are coloured, it's the skin underneath. I'd always assumed it was the scales. It's possible to tan fish skins and make them into fish leather clothing and accessories. An almighty faff though, it has to be said.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They do... and I've washed them three times...

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Mangleworzle

The heart is quite small and very far forwards under the back of the gills, it does look like you'd expect it to though, the liver is usually large. Sometimes when you think you've finished, there is often a membrane at the top of the cavity under the spine which needs to come out, inside this membrane is a red messy thing. The membrane is the swim bladder and red thing the aorta

lanokia likes this.
  20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My sister was once given a hare that someone had shot, but had no idea what to do with it. My dad thought I would benefit by being taught how to skin it.

I honestly don't know whether my sister actually cooked it. She's a bit squeamish when it comes to food she's never tried before. I remember my brother won a goldfish at the fair. When he brought it home, there was nothing other than a fruit bowl to keep it in. The following day, after our Sunday roast, we were eating tinned peaches and cream for afters, when someone noticed that the goldfish had gone missing.

The goldfish was found thrashing about behind the fruit bowl it had jumped out of and returned to the water, but my sister has never been able to eat tinned peaches again to this day.

Neither have I ever had cause to skin a hare.

Nevertheless, it was an interesting lesson.