1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First thing in a morning!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lunablanket, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Hey guys, just wanted to know what you do first thing in a morning with ur class? My class are very fussy and it seems to take an age to get them on the carpet for register!! I have attempted name writing but then still have the problem of children being finished in 5 seconds and they still have to wait for the others to stop dithering!!! I was just wondering if anyone had any good routines with regards to settling and getting them on task staight away?
    Thanks

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Singing, an interactive calendar on the whiteboard, the register and straight to assembly.

3. Where does that come from, please?

4. we self-register by writing name then free choose until 9.15 which allows for all the late comers to arrive/drift in and all those who are unsettled to have adult time, lunches to be organised, talks with parents etc etc etc 9.15 - 1st carpet session - main learning of the day and explanation of the 'must dos' for the morning....
    hope this helps x

5. we also self-regisiter then have free choice from 8.50 till 9.10, saves any waiting around for the children

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

http://www.ictgames.com/dateChart.html

7. My children start coming in at 845 and are all in by 9. The children practise handwriting on whiteboards when they come in. I have some sounds/words that I have written on 2handwrite. I have it playing on a loop, so that the children can watch the correct formation. At 9 we have the register. Then activate and our daily calendar. Then, at 915, we either have assembly or start our phonics lesson. The children know the routine well, and happy to come in and get on with it so that I can speak to any parents if I need to.

8. I also do self registration and some continuous provision activities until 9:10 (from about 8:45) a TA hears some children read in this time too. We sing a song to get everyone to the carpet