1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First term - number work advice!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by llov1_04, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Hi there
    I teach a mixed Y5/6 class and this year would like to forget the PNS blocks and initially start with a term on number work - place value, calculations, mental maths etc. I just wondered if anyone who already does this has any advice regarding other areas to cover, good activities etc?

2. Hi there
    I teach a mixed Y5/6 class and this year would like to forget the PNS blocks and initially start with a term on number work - place value, calculations, mental maths etc. I just wondered if anyone who already does this has any advice regarding other areas to cover, good activities etc?

3. yr5 / yr6 should know about factors, prime numbers, triangle numbers, square numbers and definitely about sequences - for some ideas on how to approach these things, take a look at the 'topics' section of our website www.mathswarriors.co.uk, where they're all covered - and for some non-routine practice in handling numbers, take a look at the 'number placement problems' in the 'workcards' section of the same website (problems range from easy to quite difficult) - nb material is all free to download and use - hope this is useful - best wishes, kk / maths warriors