1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

first term grading for student teachers

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jasminemay, Nov 28, 2011.

1. In your experience what is the average grade students achieve after ten weeks in school at stage 1 satisfactory, good or outstanding. What different behaviours are students expected to show to achieve the different grades.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Your ITT provider should have given you descriptions for each of the gradings. this will show you what you need to do to reach each one. Ours breaks it down into all the Q standards and what each grade means for each standard.

I've graded students at all three gradings and one at unsatisfactory. In the first placement our students can only be unsatisfactory or satisfactory as a tick box grading. But the report itself reflects the actual standard achieved.

3. I wouldn't worry about this too much, mentors often have different standards when it comes to grading students so it can often be to do with the mentors standards as much as your own.
    If you are worried about it, ask your mentor what you can do to get a 'good' or 'outstanding' grade.
    In interviews I have never been asked about any of my grades, so I don't think it matters too much.

4. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

On my PGCE a few years back we couldn't be awarded anything above a 3 (effectively a satisfactory) - 1s and 2s could only be awarded in later placements.
    As long as the noises are positive and you don't get graded as unsatisfactory, it's all good.

5. It varies a lot between providers and there is no 'general' advice that anyone can give. In some way, although we all like to have good or very good gradings, we must also realise the context in which the grading is given - an outstanding now is not the same as an outstanding towrads the end of training, is not the same as outstanding for a NQT is not the same as outstanding for an experienced teacher. My own personal view is that such gardings are so variable as to not be very helpful - but in ITT OFSTED require 'gradings' and to a certain extent so do trainees, who want to know how they are getting on.
    James