1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First term completed. Very happy

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by wheezysteve, Dec 15, 2011.

1. wheezysteve

wheezysteve New commenter

Hi, I thought a positive post would be welcome!
    As I approach the end of my first term, I wanted to say how happy I am to be a teacher and that my choice to leave a professional high paying job to come and teach, is not something I regret!
    I organised my first school trip yesterday which was a complete success for my A-Level students. They are more motivated now and it was a nice treat for them as we just finished doing all the past papers.
    I had behavioural problems with the lower school kids that I teach, but as of 2 weeks ago, we (not I) turned a corner, where the ringleading students came to me and apologised for their actions over the term. The class are working very well in their subjects, with most achieving NC levels 5-7.
    Four weeks ago I was crying, wanting to leave the job. I am glad I didn't.

2. Nice to see some positivity. I was myself thinking this morning that I would change my job for nothing in the world. It is wonderfully rewarding to work with young people (especially when they bring you cool Christmas presents).

3. How lovely to read a positive post from a new teacher. I am currently playing the waiting game in the application process for ITT, and it is sometimes difficult to remain upbeat when all about you are having a tough time. Being married to a teacher and Head of Department has shown me how hard the job can be; but he still says he doesn't regret his career choice.

Thanks for that, it has brightened my day!

4. I've had a great first term. My school are very supportive, and my end of term report was positive and lovely to read. I really enjoy my job. There have been some hairy weeks (APP, observations etc) and it's an emotional rollercoaster at times, but I'm looking back over my first term and thinking that the good has by far outweighed the bad [​IMG].

5. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I can second this! Of course it's not been easy, but even before my term is properly over I'm going through all my teaching guide and pedagogy books and watching Teachers TV videos and feeling inspired again - I can't wait to do even better next term. Bring it on, kids!

6. wheezysteve

wheezysteve New commenter

Well I wish you all a very merry christmas and a happy new year!

7. Lovely to hear some good experiences. I am NQT plus 1 and I definitely think the first term is the hardest of all. As a plus, it is much easier this year all round, so keep thinking positive. I love the job and have managed to have not a bad work life balance this year.

8. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

That's good to hear. I'd love to have enough free time to get back into amateur dramatics, which I left behind to start the PGCE. Mind you, I know as soon as I feel ready I'll start chasing a promotion of some kind, not HoD or HoY or that level, but I'd love to be an AST or a key stage coordinator for my subject. Got to live the dream!

9. I've thankfully survived!! Although after the holidays my timetable is changing and I'm losing all my BTEC and getting two new year 9 classes and a year 8. Hooray for no BTEC booo to these new bundles of joy!