1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

First teaching post - Free Laptop?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by hayley1611, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am currently an NQT applying for a job in a primary school. I have heard that you are given a laptop when you start your first job is this correct?

2. It will depend on the school and/or the LA. There is no general ruling on this. Even if you are provided with a laptop, it will be subject to conditions as you would expect and you may only iuse it for work purposes. You may find that it is relatively 'old' and may not have the latest softwarev or operating system.
    In other words don't get excited. Thwere again I do know of NQTs who get new, latest spec machines.
    A word of advice though - make sure that any equipment you use in a school is only used for work - I know of teachers/trainees who use personal equipment and then find themselfes in trouble when inappropriate images/e-mails/internet sites are listed/openned in schools.
    In short - separate your work and personal life completely! (e.g. have a separate logon for your laptop which is just for work and a different one for personal use.)
    James

3. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I would have thought this will depend on the school and their facilities, I don't think there is any entitlement to a free laptop.