1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First teaching job secured in Year 5

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by melrose275, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I have secured a full time teaching job in year 5 in September and am very excited.
    However, I have never taught year 5 before and I am really seeking any advice I could get in terms of resources I may need to buy and how I should set up my classroom and any particular topics that work well for year 5.
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Mel

2. Hello all,
    I have secured a full time teaching job in year 5 in September and am very excited.
    However, I have never taught year 5 before and I am really seeking any advice I could get in terms of resources I may need to buy and how I should set up my classroom and any particular topics that work well for year 5.
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Mel

3. Hey,
    Well done on the job! I'm going to be starting year 5 in September too! Never had them before so I'm also a newbie to this year group.
    Topics that the year 5 at that school have done before are coastlines, ancient greece, Nelson. I googled year 5 topics and also found Mars, World War 2, The Victorians, China...
    There's probably lots of different topics that can work well for upper KS2. Any more suggestions people? I'd like to hear some too!
    Thanks

4. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/429541.aspx?PageIndex=1#5856509

5. i am in year 5, just about to finish my nqt year. i have lots of things i used to set up my classroom. if you want me to email you them then email me on pops_b52@yahoo.co.uk

6. Thank you.
    Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Mel

7. Hi I'vee-mailed you, could I have a copy too please?
    I am starting my NQT post in year 5.
    Thanks
    Ruth