1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First teaching job interview: What questions are asked?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by moonphase9, Mar 31, 2020.

1. moonphase9

moonphase9 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm a PGCE student and have been invited to my first job interview. It's for Teacher of English.

I have an idea of the type of questions that may be asked, but I like to be prepared, so are there any that the TES community can think of that I should be ready for?

(Wisely, the school have decided to conduct the interview online, so no one is in danger of Covid-19 and there is a lesson to prepare but only the interview staff will see it.)

2. daisy18

daisy18 New commenter

Sorry if I am too late. I’ve had quite a few and typically get asked the following :

Why this school and this post

Describe an outstanding lesson you have taught.
    Describe a lesson that didn’t go so well.

How do you show/ measure progression.

Tell about your achievements ( could ask about examination classes you’ve taught)

How have you managed behaviour.

What could you offer in the way of extra curricular/ wider school activities

always a child protection question, what would you do in a given situation.

possibly also ; tell me about yourself or your strengths/ weaknesses

How do you work in a team

Hope that helps

moonphase9 likes this.
  3. sugaflowa

sugaflowa New commenter

Has anyone got any tips for an online interview for a private school teaching post? Thanks

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@sugaflowa, you are very concerned about this, I can see, as you are posting this same query all over the place, you poor thing!

Keep calm.

Easier said than done, I know, but honestly that's the best thing. Get yourself so well prepared that you can feel confident. That is honestly the best thing to do.

@daisy18 - helpful reply there! And well done for not posting any suggested answers, that's totally the wrong sort of interview preparation, to see answers!

@moonphase9, loads of people have found THIS very helpful, as well as general interview tips it includes a chapter on Skype interviews. And another one on Indy interviews, for sugaflowa!

Best of luck everyone, and keep safe!

moonphase9 likes this.
  5. sugaflowa

sugaflowa New commenter

Thanks there, good tips and I have emailed you too.
    Cheers