1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

FIRST TEACHING JOB! Any suggestions of what to go on and buy, get ready etc

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 01youngn, Jul 7, 2011.

1. I have recently been awarded my first post as class teacher for a year 5 class.

I have been into school a few times but was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of anything worth going on and buying or getting ready or anything you wished you had known before starting their first teaching year.

I have asked the school and received a few ideas but would like to hear your opinions....

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A fabulous pencil case with lots of lovely coloured pens and pencils in. To be lent out on very, very special occasions to very, very good children as an extra special treat/reward. (Or at least that is how I justify buying myself a new set every year...)

Think about how you want to store pens and pencils, rulers, etc for easy access, but not easy losing. Although you shouldn't, many teachers do buy their own.

Buy a small notebook to take to courses and staff meetings. No point buying a big one, you won't fill it and will look a right swot anyway.

What I wish I'd known...hmmm That things would definitely get easier and better.

3. Waterstones have a really good offer on at the minute - buy the first book in a series for £1. It's on Horrid Henry, How to Train Your Dragon and Skulduggery Pleasant - my Y5s love all of these! Also, go into charity shops and buy as many cheap kids books (horrible histories/science, harry potter, horrid henry, wimpy kid etc) as you can - they'll love them and it'll really boost reading for pleasure.

As for getting ready, make sure you make the classroom your own - do displays, sort out the cupboard, new tray labels for the children and the resources in the classroom. I usually spend some time in the holidays making sure everything is perfect.