1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First teaching interview - what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jem88, Feb 25, 2012.

1. I am a PGCE student and have just been offered my first interview. I have been told in the morning I will have an unseen exercise followed by pitching a lesson, speaking to the department and a formal interview in the afternoon.
    Does anyone have any ideas what this unseen exercise could be and how I can prepare for it?
    Thanks

2. I am a PGCE student and have just been offered my first interview. I have been told in the morning I will have an unseen exercise followed by pitching a lesson, speaking to the department and a formal interview in the afternoon.
    Does anyone have any ideas what this unseen exercise could be and how I can prepare for it?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh well done! That's really good news!
    First of all go and read the two interview clickables inside the Welcome thread to get some general tips on preparing for an interview. As for your specific task, it could be just anything, including marking a piece of work or preparing a lesson plan. But it will be the sort of thing that you are fairly used to doing, even as a student.
    Don't try to guess what it could be - you might just waste time preparing something that doesn't happen. it will be perfectly do-able, I'm sure.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com