1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

First TA interview. Hints/advice ??

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by philipjohnston1989, Oct 16, 2019.

1. philipjohnston1989

philipjohnston1989 New commenter

Hi guys, i have secured an interview for a TA position one-to-one with a pupil with SEND. As part of the interview i have to read a story to the children for five minutes which im guessing is a short assessment. Any advice on what i should wear or what sort of questions to ask? Thanks.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Well done on getting an interview! First of all, choose a story you know well and enjoy. If you can have a 'prop' with you, so much the better. It's only 5 minutes, so you don't need to go OTT - but if you were reading Dogger, you could have a toy dog … or some fruit for Handa's Surprise. Look through the story carefully and decide where you might pause and what question you could ask. Be flexible - it might not work out the way you plan - but it's good to have some ideas.
    I would suggest 'smart casual' dress - the most important thing is that what you wear makes you feel confident and comfortable. Not jeans, but dark trousers and a top will be fine. I wouldn't go over the top with jewellery or make-up; understated will work best.
    They will probably ask specific questions about your experience of working with children with SEND. There may be a behaviour scenario and I'm sure there will be a safeguarding one.
    Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

pepper5 and philipjohnston1989 like this.
  3. philipjohnston1989

Hi sunshineneeded thanks for the advice on this. You mention specific questions relating to experience of SEND and there may be a behaviour and a safeguarding scenario, could you give examples of these behaviour and safeguarding scenarios that i might be asked on? Many thanks. :)

4. sunshineneeded

I'm an HLTA in primary and have never worked 1-1 with a child with SEND, but I imagine the behaviour scenarios could be along the lines of: 'You are working with a small group (3 children). Two are working well; the other is not on task and constantly trying to distract the others. You know that the task is well within his understanding and capability. What would you do?' Or could be: 'Child A is very prone to full blown tantrums when he can't get his own way. The children have been asked to come in from the outside area and sit on the carpet. Child A doesn't want to and is laying on the ground, making a huge fuss and trying to kick anyone who comes near. What might you do?' (That one's pretty extreme!)
    Safeguarding will probably be asking what you would do if a child discloses something to you, or if you notice unexplained bruises, etc - or anything about a child which causes you real concern. Safeguarding questions are all about knowing the school policy and following it to the letter.
    Good luck!

5. philipjohnston1989

Hi sunshineneeded unfortunately i was unsuccessful following my TA interview yesterday. Some of the other candidates were more closely matched to the role due to more skills and experience. Im very happy with how the interview went and the story i read to the children was well received, however some of my answers to the questions were not specific enough when giving examples. I'll take all this on board for future interviews. Thanks for your help :)

6. sunshineneeded

Sorry you weren't successful … this time. But every interview is a learning process - and any feedback they gave you will be valuable. Keep applying and there will be a job out there with your name on it!

7. magda_witek

magda_witek New commenter

Oh, sorry you weren't successful on this occasion.
    Would you be able to share some of the questions you'd been asked? What examples did you give?