1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

First steps on how to get a job in the UK

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by Anna_Bell_Eck, Jun 21, 2018.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I will be getting my Master's degree in primary teaching in September. However I want to work abroad as a teacher / student teacher / teaching assistant.
    My question is, what is my "profession"? Am I a teacher already, a teaching assistant or a student teacher? I have been teaching since 2015 already... However, I'm not really sure about what to put in my profile...

    Thanks so much for helping me out.

    Best wishes,
  2. Cecily52579

    Cecily52579 New commenter

    Annabell, are you American?

    If so, I am sorry to tell you that you can't teach in the UK because you will not get a Tier 2 visa. I was recently offered a teaching job in the UK, but when my school applied for the sponsorship certificate, it was refused because there is a cap/quota on the number of Tier 2s given. Last month, only people making 60k (pounds) salaries were granted the visas, so no teachers. This means I'm now unemployed for the next year because I had resigned my current post and planned to take up the UK job.

    Don't let the same thing happen to you. You might get a job offer from a school, but you won't be paid anywhere near enough to get a visa.

Share This Page